Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
This is an outstanding opportunity to progress your career in the dynamic profession of Internal Audit, (IA) working for the second largest local authority in London. Hillingdon prides itself in having a high level of resident satisfaction underpinned by strong financial health, achieved by providing excellent value for money services.
The IA team at Hillingdon is committed to continuous improvement, including providing the opportunity for all members of the team to fulfil their potential within our forward-thinking IA service. They are seeking an outstanding individual to make a difference and help lead the team through the challenging times ahead. This post reports directly to the IA Manager and can expect to gain exposure dealing with stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
The successful candidate will be either professionally qualified or actively working towards an IA qualification (i.e. CIA, PIIA, CMIIA, CCAB, or other relevant qualification) you will have IA experience, excellent interpersonal skills and a highly professional approach. You will be responsible for mentoring junior members of the IA team, as well as supporting senior members of the IA team including the Principal Internal Auditor and the IA Service Managers, ensuring agreed team plans and performance targets are monitored and delivered to a high quality standard.
A good understanding and working knowledge of risk management, corporate governance and internal controls is essential. You will have experience of conducting audits and of reviewing the work of more junior staff. Working both as part of the team and on your own, the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate initiative, a commitment to high quality, good time management and an excellent standard of customer service.
We are looking for someone dynamic professional with a positive, flexible approach and a strong motivation to developing our brand and enhancing the reputation of IA across the organisation. This role may suit an ambitious part-qualified or recently qualified auditor looking to take the next step in their IA career. At Hillingdon we have a proven track record of recruiting and developing excellent IA staff. The outstanding package on offer includes generous annual leave entitlement, local government pension scheme, flexible working arrangements and we will also provide the successful candidate with full training support towards the study of a relevant professional qualification.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses