Reading Borough Council is committed to providing a high quality, effective and efficient waste collection service. We carry out a full range of domestic, recycling and commercial waste collection services to a high standard endeavouring to reduce landfill and maximize recycling across the services.
About the role
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collection of refuse and recycling in wheeled bins and bags
- Operating compactors and loaders
- Walking in excess 15 miles per day on designated rounds
- Working in a team
- Excellent customer care skills
- Follow Health & Safety procedures
- The ideal candidate should be prepared for physically demanding manual work.
- You will be working in all weathers and must have a can do and flexible attitude.
- Applicants with a HGV License will be at an advantage and may be required to cover permanent drivers whilst they are on leave.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing Date: 30th November 2020
Interview Date: Tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.