At Surrey County Council, our Children's Services are on a rapid change journey with new management, innovative approaches and considerable energy. Our teams across Surrey are developing into a strong service with a stable workforce. We are determined that children, young people and their families are at the centre of all we do and are changing our model of work to one which supports excellent children's services.
Quality Relationships comprises an integrated set of strategic services which support and inform operational services in the department, better engage with our partners and service users and which contribute significantly to our continuous improvement ambitions.
We are now looking for an experienced and forward thinking individual to lead and manage the Policy, Planning and Innovation service to drive the department's strategic and operational (business) planning, ensuring the production and implementation of high quality plans which inform and enable effective service delivery across the organisation.
You will support our departmental preparation for external regulation and inspection activity and develop and implement strategies which successfully engage partners in setting the direction for, and in the governance of, children's services across the county.
This is an important leadership role, working with a range of different stakeholders in a fast-moving environment, combining strategic and operational planning. You will work closely with senior managers and be expected to forge excellent relationships within the County Council and with partners and the voluntary sector. You will manage strategic programmes of work, providing professional expertise and helping to develop and embed a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation.
To be shortlisted for an interview, your application should evidence:
- Ability to work in a complex and fast-moving environment, working at pace to deliver key areas of work
- Proven people management experience, ability to lead, motivate and coach staff and to introduce innovation in the context of increased expectations and higher standards required to deliver excellent services
- The ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners/professionals
- Proven problem-solving skills with the capacity to devise and implement innovative solutions
- Highly developed skills in developing and managing strategic and business planning processes across a complex range of services for children and families
- Highly developed skills in translating legislative requirements, public policy developments, council ambitions and emerging business need into appropriate strategic and business plans
- Proven ability to provide accurate and instructive strategic level advice and briefings to Elected Members and senior managers
- Good knowledge of legislation and public policy developments in respect of services for children and families
For more information, please see the full job description attached at the bottom of this page.Additional Information
For an informal discussion please contact Luke Entwistle by e-mail at Luke.Entwistle@surreycc.gov.uk. We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 06/12/2020.
Interviews will take place on week commencing 14/12/2020.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service and 30 days after 5 year'. A generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.