plus Market Supplement £6,000 p/a and 1 professional fee paid
Reading is an exciting and forward thinking unitary authority with a busy and friendly Building Control Service. The Building Control Service deals with all aspects of the Building Regulations, including the examination of full plans/Building Notice applications, site inspections, dangerous structures, unauthorised and regularisation applications and enforcement duties as and when required. We deal with a wide range of interesting development proposals throughout the town including commercial and educational projects.
About the role
- You will be expected to proactively seek opportunities to promote our Building Control service and increase market share.
- You will hold the relationship between the Council and developer in respect of minor/major development proposals, providing an efficient, impartial and cost-effective building control service and representing the service on a wide range of projects.
- To assist with the supervision and coach more junior building control staff and others who may be seconded to the Department.
- Checking of more complex building regulation applications for an area of the Borough
- To deal with dangerous structures during normal office hours when required. To be available out of office hours when required as part of the Council’s dangerous structures service.
- Drafting of correspondence relating to contraventions of building regulations, including the preparation of statements of evidence for court action and attending court as a witness in cases of prosecution, expert evidence and negligence claims.
- To initial all statutory notices prior to authorisation by the Principal Building Control Surveyor.
- To assist the Principal Building Control Surveyor in ensuring that the operational and financial targets of the team are met.
- Full membership of RICS Building Surveying or equivalent
- We require an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, who can demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for hard work.
- You will be required to liaise with members of the public or their agents, so will need to be comfortable working away from the office and confident when dealing with customers.
- You will be working in a flexible office environment, with the chance to work from home, so will need to have good organisational and administrative skills and an ability to use computers for recording and retrieving information.
- Full membership of RICS or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years Building Control Experience.
- Current full driving license.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing Date: 30th November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact Mr James Crosbie either email James.email@example.com or Reza.Saneie@reading.gov.uk.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.