Family Engagement Worker (sc6)
Service: Islington Children’s Services
Division: Learning and Schools
Directorate: People/Early Years and Childcare
Area: Bright start Islington
Grade/ Salary: £29, 544 - £30, 615
Contractual hours: 35 hours all year round including occasional evening and weekend work
Are you a hardworking skilled and enthusiastic team player? We are looking for a Family Engagement Worker to join our vibrant Bright Start Islington service
Islington is an early intervention borough, with a clear vision to help families develop the resilience they need to improve their children’s life chances and address the stressors they face as early as possible. Bright Start Islington works with families (from pregnancy until a child is five) offering a range of services to ensure every child gets the best start in life.
We work in an integrated way with the health visiting team and other partners to deliver to a rich programme of activities (indoor, outdoor and online) including: stay and play sessions, groups for children with additional needs, child development reviews, midwifery appointments, breastfeeding and family support. We work alongside parents and carers to build on home learning opportunities to ensure children get the support needed to gain the confidence and skills they need to start school.
The post is a full-time permanent position (35 hours per week). The normal working pattern is 9 - 5pm Monday to Friday with occasional evening and Saturdays.
The post holder will be based across a Bright Start Locality Area to promote and provide a range of outreach activities and initiatives within local communities aimed at engaging families in early childhood services, particularly those who may be considered hard to reach.
You will have:
• Minimum NVQ level 3 or equivalent in Advice, Social Care, Supporting Parents, Early Years, Health, Education or Community Work
• Experience of engaging families, including working with the most vulnerable families and those considered hard to reach including BAME groups
• Ability to co-ordinate and deliver parent engagement activities and services including
• Communication and interpersonal skills which motivate and support parents and families, fostering trust, confidence and resilience, whilst maintaining appropriate boundaries.
• Secure knowledge of early childhood development and the importance of early identification and intervention including the range of factors that can inhibit children’s learning and development.
Bright Start recognises that fathers play a vital role in early years and male applications are encouraged as they are unrepresented in the workforce, however, all applications will be considered and appointments made on merit.
We also particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates to ensure we have a diverse workforce which is representative of the local community.
The post holder will be required to travel across different sites to deliver services and work in the community to build partnerships and undertake outreach activities.
The post holder will be managed by the Early Childhood Coordinator for the locality area. For further information please contact: Coral Jepson (Early Childhood Coordinator) t: 07769235785 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bright Start Islington is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment; all posts are subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Closing date: Sunday 22 November 2020 23.59hrs
Interview dates: Thursday 3 and Friday 4 December 2020