Salary: dependent on experience:
Band 8 £29,557 - £32,233 p.a. - educated to degree level as a minimum
Band 10 £35,744 - £39,880 p.a. - qualified lawyer (solicitor, barrister or chartered legal executive)
Band 12 £44,862 - £48,874 p.a. - 2-4 years PQE
Job Type: Full time, 37 hours per week, Permanent
Working at Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we are all about developing our staff to build a bigger and better city - and we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 8,000 businesses throughout the city of Portsmouth, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all who live and work here. From customer service to multi-million pound projects, our residents and business entrepreneurs are at the heart of everything we do.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and highly skilled professional to join the Projects, Procurement and Commercial legal team to provide quality advice and support to all departments of the Council on a wide range of matters relating primarily to companies and local government law.
The role will involve working closely with a range of departments across the council, advising members and committees as well as key external stakeholders.
What is the role?
- To provide quality advice and support to all departments of the Council on a wide range of matters relating to procurement, commercial, companies and local government law. The role will involve working closely with a range of departments across the council and for the higher banding, delivering directly to senior Council officers and members.
- To advise and act for the Council acting as accountable body for the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership ("SLEP") - detailed below - to ensure that the accountable body acts lawfully and within its own rules and procedures as set down in the Council’s constitution.
- You will have your own case load consisting of a variety of projects, procurement and contract matters primarily relating to PCC owned companies
- Assisting or leading colleagues (depending on banding) and developing knowledge in other areas including PFI contracts, procurement, contracts, projects and public/administrative law.
- Assisting or leading colleagues (depending on banding) when required on other matters ranging from significant capital projects, major procurement projects, and local government matters.
- Providing supervision and mentoring to more junior members of the team (higher banding)
Who is the person?
You need to have:
- Experience of preparing all necessary legal documentation in respect of companies' administration using precedent documentation.
- Ability to work on more complex matters, and demonstrate an interest in developing inter-disciplinary legal skills.
- Good attention to detail and a pragmatic, flexible and commercial approach to problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
- Organisational skills and able to prioritise an often heavy caseload.
- An ability to identify legal problems and provide pragmatic solutions to them.
- Qualification as a solicitor, barrister, or legal executive (bands 10 & 12)
- Ability to engage and develop relationships on behalf of Legal Services with our Client Departments.
- An understanding of working in a politically sensitive environment.
You will also need to demonstrate evidence of your experience and successes in at least one of the following:
- EU Procurement advice
- Company law requirements
- IT contracts and procurement
- Service level and commercial agreements
- Formation of companies
- Partnership/multiagency agreements
- PFI agreements
- Academy transfers
- Funding agreements
- Trust agreements
- Joint venture Agreements
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Demonstrable knowledge or interest in developing in other areas of law including local government law, planning law, contracts/commercial law.
The successful candidate will be:
- Organised with an attention to detail, as you will be dealing with a varied workload.
- Expected to ensure work is completed within agreed timescales with excellent outcomes.
- Responsible and accountable for the delivery of your personal tasks and outcomes.
- An excellent communicator with good influencing skills as you will be dealing with people at all levels of the organisation.
- Able to ensure your advice is understood and implemented.
- Able to engage and develop relationships on behalf of Legal Services at meetings, including presentation to senior Council Officers and Members (higher banding)
- Consistent, supportive, proactive and flexible.
- Adaptable to the changing needs of the service and to support the Council’s core business priorities.
- Work effectively with the colleagues to deliver an effective, efficient, and excellent legal service, and engaging with internal and external stakeholders.
- Committed to team success with a positive and energetic attitude.
- Committed to continual professional development, and developing skills and knowledge of additional legal disciplines relevant to the work of the Corporate, Commercial, and Regeneration Team
- Take pride in your and our successes.
- Able to promote and maintain effective working practices, such as compliance with LEXCEL accreditation standards
- Committed to delivering exceptional legal services.