Building Engineering Services Manager
Ref no: 3512 - 4249
Salary: Band 13 - £52,582 - £59,106 p.a.
37 hours per week flexi-time
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a professionally-qualified person to manage the Building Engineering Services Team with extensive knowledge of Building Engineering services, construction knowledge, providing internal/external consultancy services and associated relevant industry experience.
Candidates must be degree qualified (ideally chartered) enthusiastic and good communicators with extensive management experience of Building Engineering Services design, managing construction contracts, staff resources, professional fee income and budgets.
What is the role?
You will be based mainly at the Civic Offices/home managing a team of professional Electrical and Mechanical design/maintenance engineers, Lift Engineers and supporting the Head of Building Engineering Services Manager by:
Managing and developing the Building Engineering Services Team to ensure the Housing, Neighbourhood and Building Services (H.N.B) meets the demands of the whole of Portsmouth City Council's stock portfolio effectively utilising the staff and budget resources available together with external clients.
Designing, procuring and managing external contracts or consultants using a variety of contracts, to ensure that the service is delivered to meet the demands received in accordance with the scope of the service within the available budgets.
Overall responsibility for developing, mentoring the Building Engineering team including graduates apprentices and trainees.
Responsibility to ensure compliance with all property and construction related statutory legislation, associated Policy's, processes and guidance including health and safety regulations. Specifically, Building Regulations, Planning Law, Fire Safety Reform Order, Health & Safety at Work and the Construction Design & Management Regulations 2015.
Working with all H.N.B section heads and their teams to deliver the service and resolve issues that impact on their teams.
Working with corporate colleagues supporting the delivery of the Building Engineering services Team including HR, IT, procurement, legal services, finance and accountancy, education, leisure as well as other local authorities and outside agencies.
Identifying opportunities for further consultancy service developments, growth and seeking potential income streams, both corporately with other PCC directorates and with external agencies or organisations.
You will support and deputise as appropriate for the Head of Building Engineering Services.
Who is the person?
- Have extensive Building Engineering services and construction industry experience and have an appropriate degree, be a member of an professional institute and preferably be a Chartered Engineer or working towards.
- Preferably have experience of managing, leading a team and professional fee income management.
- Have a good knowledge of and be able to provide advice and lead others regarding M&E design/maintenance, related legislation, contract law and guidance. Specifically Building Engineering services related acts and regulations, planning law, party wall act, fire safety, procurement legislation, JCT and NEC contracts.
- Have a good knowledge and experience of preparing design concepts, feasibility studies and option appraisals for a varied range of corporate clients, departments and external organisations and associated professional fee charges.
- Have a good knowledge, be able to apply, advise and lead others regarding construction related health & safety legislation including the CDM regulations and the asbestos at work regulations.
- Have experience of leading, recruiting, repairing professional fee bids and developing teams to carry out all aspects of their roles and meet the demands for the Building Engineering service provision and external clients.
- Have good knowledge and experience to apply cost control and financial management techniques for project budgets up to £5 million, and applying government financial rules and PCC standing orders, exercising financial control and ensuring value for money.
- Have relevant experience of using all Microsoft packages; in particular be able to demonstrate practical IT skills using Excel spreadsheets to analyse data, project management databases and as well as the ability to use various software packages such as AutoCAD, as part of undertaking the role.
- Have knowledge and experience of public procurement rules and procedures and leading the procurement and management of external consultants or contractors for capital projects
- Have experience of managing and negotiating with external consultants and contractors delivering a design on substantial capital projects, individual contract values can be up to £5 million.
- Be organised and methodical when managing resources available, including allocating workloads to technical and non-technical staff, to provide the service whilst managing the associated income.
- Experience of communicating with senior staff within services, other departments, external organisations, contractor organisations, councillors and undertaking presentations and leading meetings as appropriate.
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting sites across Portsmouth /South Coast so will need to travel effectively between them and occasionally assist with emergencies.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Luke Pearson, Head of Building Engineering Services, on 07740 974627
Closing date: 16th November 2020
Applications received after this may not be considered
Interview process: w/c 30th November 2020