Finance Apprenticeship Pathway
Location: Islington Council, 7 Newington Barrow Way, N7 7EP
Hours : 35 hours per week
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Finance Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 2-year long opportunity to build on your Maths, IT and English skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a level 2 Finance Assistant Accounting qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Core Finance Team, where you will support the delivery of a comprehensive and effective finance service to the wider Council.
The Job - Working as a Finance Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Learn key accounting skills for a future career in the financial sector
- Work individually and as part of a team to respond to customer’s requests effectively and efficiently
- Liaise with customers directly via the phone, in writing or in person, as a friendly and knowledgeable representative of the Council
- Learn key office and administration skills
- Ensure customer’s needs are met quickly, confidently and positively
- Use problem-solving skills to provide advice and support to customer’s issues and concerns
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete either a level 2 Finance Assistant accounting qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
- Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student within the last 12 months. We encourage applications aged 16-24; however, applicants of all ages will be considered.
- Be unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 16hours a week).
- Not currently be qualified in a Finance related course at level 2 or above
- Hold GCSE grades 4-9/A-C or level 2 equivalent skills in Maths and English.
Closing Date: Sunday 8th November 2020 at 23:59.
Assessment Day: Week commencing 23 November 2020
Apprenticeship Start Date: December 2020/January 2021 (subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks).
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Bina Limbachia on 020 7527 1885 or email email@example.com
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk