Wokingham Virtual School are looking for an interim part-time Deputy Head Teacher with experience of supporting Looked After Children. The main responsibilities of this role include deputising for the Virtual Head Teacher as well as driving improvements to the completion and quality of PEPs and providing high support and high challenge to all stakeholders. This is a fixed term role.
Wokingham Borough Council are currently recruiting for a part time (0.8FTE) Interim Virtual School Deputy Head Teacher to work with the Learning, Achievement and Partnership Team in Children’s Services. This position is based at Alder Grove CofE School, Shinfield. You will report directly to the Head Teacher of the Virtual School.
Wokingham Virtual School works closely with Social Care and Schools to champion the education of all Care Experienced children and young people. The Virtual School supports the delivery of successful learning and achievement outcomes and positive educational experiences on roll, including Children in Care/Care Leavers/SGOs and post adoption.
Key Duties, Responsibilities & Accountabilities:-
• Monitor exclusions of children in care, supporting or challenging schools and ensuring appropriate provision is put in place.
• Responsible for monitoring and improving attendance, attainment and reduce exclusions.
• Responsible for influencing school leaders and other professionals to progress individual cases to remove barriers to access to education.
• Partner with schools, social workers and carers and provide training, advice, support and challenge to schools and other professionals.
• Be inspirational for the educational attainment, outcomes and experiences for all children and young people in the care of the LA whether placed in or out of the Borough.
• Deputise for and support the Virtual Head in driving forward cultural, workforce and other changes necessary to ensure services cohere around young people’s needs and secure improvement outcomes.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience required:-
• Sound understanding of Social Care
• Sound understanding and knowledge of legislation, regulations and guidance that relates to education, attendance and exclusion and how it related to children in care
• Experience of multiagency working to support vulnerable children or young people in education setting
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• IT literate and experience of Microsoft Office
• Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
• Enhanced DBS check
• UK Driving Licence
Closing date: 11pm, Friday 30th October 2020
Interview date: Friday 6th November 2020
If you would like an informal discussion about this role, please contact Sian Biddlecombe by email at email@example.com or call 07717 348 550.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates for this role will be subject to Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.