We are looking for a Private Housing Technical Officer to join Medway Council's Housing Team on a short term contract.
Main purpose of job:
- To provide specialist enforcement, renewal and advisory service to fulfil statutory and other obligations to ensure properties in the private sector comply with national standards.
- Ensuring homes are healthy, safe and warm.
- Inspecting homes in response to requests for service from persons, in particular private sector tenants, relating to residential accommodation.
- Providing advice and taking necessary action to remedy the situation.
You will have regular contact with landlords, advice organisations e.g. CAB and other council teams and will need to be able to explain the council's policies, procedures and national legislation to ensure all stakeholders are aware of their rights and responsibilities iwth regards to improving housing standards.
- Suitable qualification in housing, environmental health, building surverying or equivalent practical experience or property based qualification.
- Certified competency in the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- An understanding of local authority funding and financial measures.
- Demonstrable ability to carry out a range of tasks and understand the procedures associated with them.
- Ability to equipment provided and possess written and numerical skills needed to compile straightforward reports, correspondence, calculations, carry out assessments.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in HHSRS standards combined with awareness of good practice and innovation.
- Knowledge of housing construction, housing defects and remedial works.
- MS Office applications.
- Full driving licence (valid for driving within the UK) and access to own transport for work purposes - must have business cover on car insurance.
- Ability to deal with some work-related pressure such as deadlines, interruptions or conflicting demands.
- Dexterity, coordination or sensory skills where there is some demand for precision in the use of these skills e.g. driving and/or the general use of a computer during the working day.
- Ability to use own judgement and creativity to assess situations.
- Ability to use written and oral communication skills to present varied information in an understandable way to a range of audiences.
- Ability to work within defined procedures and to work independently using initiative to deal with straightforward situations.
- Commitment to equality and diversity, accepting differences and treating everyone fairly.
A clear DBS Certificate (in date) is required for this role and valid car insurance to include business purposes.