At Surrey County Council, within our Property team, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a qualified Senior Solicitor or Lawyer. We are looking for a flexible and motivated colleague to join this friendly and committed team.
As a Senior Solicitor you will play an active role in the management of the team and will deputise for the Principal Solicitor alongside actively contributing to the future delivery of first class legal services.
The person appointed to this post will be expected to provide quality proactive legal advice across a broad range of property (and related) issues including but not limited to Landlord and Tenant matters, acquisitions, disposals, Commons and Village Greens and will be expected to have conduct of a full, varied and demanding caseload of property matters including projects.
We are looking for:
- A skilled, commercially astute property lawyer with substantial experience of the law and practice in this area. You will also have experience of managing and supervising people.
- An effective and dynamic individual who is able to motivate others, who is comfortable both leading and working in a team and is able to work to challenging priorities and achieve clear outcomes.
You will be working as part of a team of property lawyers to provide advice across a broad range of legal issues to support the Council in the provision of its services.
You will clearly demonstrate that you have good experience in the relevant areas of law and the following skills and abilities:
- Negotiating terms of documentation such as leases, licences, development agreements, overage and transfers;
- Providing solutions-focused and enabling advice on a range of (mainly commercial property) matters and an ability to learn quickly about subjects in which you may not have had any prior experience;
- Effective team working;
- Undertaking and leading at client and project meetings;
- Advising Members and Senior Officer of the Council;
- Managing competing priorities to achieve client deadlines;
- Exemplary client care and organisational skills; and
- Assisting with management and supervision of the team and any direct reports.
The generic role profile for lawyers of this level is attached to this advert. Advocacy will not form part of this role.
The team is supportive and knowledgeable and there is a commitment to development and training our in-house talent and support for training to cover new areas of practice.
Please note that we are unable to accept CVs sent by email.Additional Information
For an informal discussion contact Kate Patel on 0208 541 9113 or by e-mail at Kate.Patel@surreycc.gov.uk. Please note that we are unable to accept CVs sent by email. We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 18th October 2020.
Interviews will take place in early November 2020.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.