In a borough with amongstthe greatest public health challenges in the country, do you have what it takesto work with local communities, the council and partners to improve healthoutcomes and address health inequalities in Tower Hamlets, both now and in thefuture?
We are looking for a personto fill a full-time post who can demonstrate competency, experience andefficiency in public health skills. We are particularly interested in thedevelopment and use of evidence be this quantitative or qualitative insight,commissioning, programme management and communications including social media. Experiencein commissioning and undertaking community led work is at the core of our work.
The successful candidatewill join our unique team of Public Health Programme Managers and communitynavigators, to support communities to Keep Tower Hamlets Safe, to build resilienceand recovery in those most at risk and enable our communities to continue to drivechange at the local level.
Thisis an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the development and spread ofthe public health approach to healthy communities in a borough with amongst thebiggest population changes in the country and unique challenges in recovery andcontrol of Covid- 19 amongst most at risk groups.
Youwill join a team which aspires to enable:
- Strong networks, partnerships and coalitions connecting people, shaping services and supporting healthier lives
- Accessible services that are integrated by a shared commitment and approach to improving health and wellbeing.
- Well utilised community assets and services promoting health and wellbeing, cohesion and addressing abuse, violence, discrimination and the impacts of crime
You will workacross the public health division, the council and wider partners, includinghousing associations, community and voluntary organisations and the NHS andcitizens. Your overarching goal will be to protect and improve the health andwellbeing of people in Tower Hamlets and reduce health inequalities with aparticular focus on the Communities Driving Change priority area of the Healthand Wellbeing Strategy.
As an experienced public health professional, youwill help drive the healthy communities programme by employing a diverse skillset that includes:
- Logic modelling around outcomes
- Insight and intelligence
- Strategy, and partnership, public, community engagement, planning and communications
- Commissioning and delivery
- Evaluation, innovation and research
- Developing public health skills and leadership
- Management of budgets and resources
Youwill report to the Healthy Communities Programme Lead and will support and leadthe work plan to address the healthy Community aspirations. You may line managea Public Health Officer and will deputise for the Programme Lead whererequired.
Youwill have a passion for working with and for communities to address recent andenduring health and structural inequalities. You will have a flexible andengaging style that supports partnership working while retaining focus anddelivery of improved health and wellbeing outcomes. You will have theconfidence and competence to integrate community development and public healthconsiderations within your working practice.
Wewill be shortlisting applications against the following criteria:
- A masters level qualification inPublic Health or related subject or equivalent experience
- At least two years’ experience ofpublic health practice
- Demonstrable understanding ofepidemiology and statistics, public health practice, health promotion, healtheconomics and health care evaluation.
- Evidence of having undertaken healthneeds assessment, health care evaluation, equity audits, clinical andnon-clinical audits or quality assurance, health strategy and policydevelopment.
- Strong written communication
Wewill further shortlist against a demonstrable understanding of the followingareas, in relation to the TOWER values:
- health inequalities, the maindeterminants of health and interventions to effectively promote health andwellbeing.
- effective ways of working withpopulations with high health needs and/or risk factors.
- community engagement, communitymobilisation and community empowerment to promote health and wellbeing.
Youwill need to hold a masters level qualification in Public Health or relatedsubject or equivalent experience, have a strong commitment to public healthprinciples and significant experience of public health practice.