Youth Advisor Level 2
Ref no: 3428 - 4153
Salary: Band 6 - £21,841 - £25,481 p.a. (£3,541 - £4,132 pro rata)
6 hours per week
To be worked over 2 nights 6-9pm and some Saturdays
Portsmouth City Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Portsmouth City Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. It is also committed to promoting quality childcare across the City that works to improve outcomes for children.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Every post is subject to PCC and Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board safer recruitment procedures.
The Youth Service aim to improve outcomes for young people aged 11-19yrs and up to 25yrs for young people with learning difficulties and disabilities. We do this through Information, Advice and Guidance, and a range of activities provided through our youth clubs and projects. We support vulnerable young people who are at risk or future risk of further problems such as substance misuse, youth offending, teenage pregnancy and homelessness.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
Working with young people aged between 11 -19 in a youth club setting & on occasions on the street; you will encourage young people’s participation in their clubs/projects and in planning activities. You will be able to plan and run sessions with groups of young people on a range of issues:-sexual health, relationships, sexism, racism, bullying, substance misuse, etc. Some experience of working with groups on issue based topics is desirable you could also be joining in sport or dance activities, managing the coffee bar, cooking with the young people or taking them out for an activity. You will support a culture of respect for staff, building, other young people, and the community as a whole, and sometimes you may have to deal with challenging behaviour.
You will be working in a variety of Youth clubs & areas City Wide to include the following geographical areas, Paulsgrove, Buckland, Portsea and Somerstown.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have previous experience of working with young people aged 11 - 19 years.
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to engage effectively with young people, staff and stakeholders
- The ability to converse at ease with service users and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
- Be able to plan group activities onsite and off-site that engages young people and encourages learning and self-development.
- Be self-directed and able to work as part of a team
- Be able to role model professional practice to other staff and demonstrate effective ways of engaging young people
- Be able to recognise when young people are having issues and be able to respond appropriately, offering support and signposting to other agencies if necessary
- Be able to make sound decisions to ensure the safety and well-being of young people, staff ,and the wider community
- Have an understanding of anti-discriminatory practice, this is essential.
- Be open minded, but recognise and challenge inappropriateness in a young person's behaviour or language when necessary
- Be flexible in your hours of work as you will need availability to work in the evenings and occasional weekends for off- site activities, and to work City Wide if required to meet the needs of the service.
- Be prepared to attend supervision, appropriate training relevant to the post, and team meetings as required.
Closing date: 2nd October 2020