Job Family: CBG11 - Enabling
Salary: £33,123 - £36,138 per annum pro rata
Hours: 37 hours per week
Location: Priory House, Shefford
Closing Date: 5th October 2020
Interview Date: Mid-October 2020
More about the role:
Central Bedfordshire Council is a financially stable, modern, forward thinking organisation with an efficient operating model. Recently described in an independent review as ‘an impressive Council’ we are only 35 minutes from London, but without the inner city challenges and pressures. Central Bedfordshire is a diverse area and is home to around 264,500 people, living in picturesque villages, hamlets and historic market towns and with great transport links – making it easy to get to and to get around.
The Capital Construction Service has been established to bring under one remit all of the Council’s major construction activities including residential, commercial, health and social care, agricultural and educational buildings. Staff in the service work on an exceptional variety of construction projects within south/central Bedfordshire. Projects can include extending or modifying existing properties as well as constructing new ones, and will range in value up to £40M with no two jobs the same.
We are looking for an experienced Architectural Technician, or candidate with similar experience and qualifications, to prepare designs and specifications by coordinating and incorporating design information from architects and other building professionals. The designs will meet the needs of the client, comply with relevant standards and regulations, and be value for money. You will be expected to visit sites, attend meetings as necessary, and deliver day to day CAD requirements of the team. You will help prepare feasibility options appraisals for CBC sites and assets, including schedules of accommodation, reports and presentations for a wide range of audiences. Knowledge of presentation programmes such as PowerPoint, Photoshop or similar is advantageous.
You will assist the Architect to provide quality assurance for a range of new construction projects, alterations and redevelopments, by ensuring the schemes delivered meet client requirements, are functional, safe, sustainable, economical and aesthetically pleasing.
You will be expected to review and comment on the Contractor's proposals to ensure the projects are compliant with Contract documents, current regulations, and meet the Client's expectations. Most of our projects are multi-million pound projects and a great attention to detail and ability to painstakingly scrutinise information is required.
You will be expected to maintain a good standard of knowledge of architectural solutions, including emerging technologies, in order to produce innovative designs that meet the client's requirements. You will help prepare information for submissions to obtain planning and building regulations approvals for a range of projects.
You will assist in preparation of specifications and tender documentation, and procure works or services, including manage contactors on projects of moderate complexity and with assistance from line manager.
If you are an experienced Architectural Technician with excellent AutoCad skills, who has good presentation and communication skills, high attention to detail, is organised, enthusiastic and a keen team player, we would love to hear from you.
What we can offer you:
- Once you have joined us you will be eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). The LGPS is a valuable part of the pay and reward package for employees working in local government, for more details on the scheme click here
- You will receive an annual leave allowance that starts at 24 days + 8 statutory holidays which increases with length of service, rising to 29 after 5 years of service and 31 after 10 years. In addition there is an option to buy an additional 5 days annual leave per year.
- Agile working is promoted and we recognise the importance of supporting our employees to balance their home and work life and to be able to work in the most efficient way. With this in mind a flexitime scheme is also operated which can help manage work and personal commitments.
- Covid-19: Please note that CBC staff have been working remotely from home since March 2020 and our offices have been closed to visitors. We will confim how and where we will conduct our interviews with the selected candidates. However, under the current circumstances, we expect that interviews will take place online via Microsoft Teams. New recruits will be inducted briefly on site and expected to work from home with a full online support from their line managers.
- Through an experienced company the Employee Assistance Programme offers support to all employees through workplace changes as well as other work, family and personal issues, this is available via the telephone and online 24 hours a day and 7 days a week
Join us and find your greatness by helping us to deliver better services to the local community.
Central Bedfordshire Council has its own vision and values that are integral to everything we do. Our area vision is to make Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’.
To assess your suitability for the role, you must demonstrate how you meet the key outcomes, accountabilities and competencies. To do this, you’ll need to refer to the Family Profile, Role Profile and Competency Framework which can be found in the Recruitment Pack: Architectural Technician
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact: Dinka Izetbegovic at Dinka.Izetbegovic@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk or call 0300 300 6647.
For queries related to the recruitment of this vacancy, please contact: The Recruitment Team at email@example.com or on 0300 300 8000.
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in the workplace. We are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider applications made via our online application system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your application offline. If you do not have a CV to hand, please look on our website for a CV template that you can use to create your CV to apply for this role: http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/jobs/work-here/application.aspx
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.