BI Technical Advisor
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council is recruiting a Fixed Term (12 months) Business Intelligence Technical Advisor.
The Business Intelligence Technical Advisor role will help power the ‘engine room’ for the corporate business improvement and intelligence team. Technically skilled and adept, you will drive forward our #digitalfirst Data Management framework to improve data across the organisation. You will also develop innovative solutions to present the data back as information and intelligence to a wide-ranging audience. The team have been supporting our COVID-19 response, building technical solutions of which you would be an integral part of going forward. The Team work to follow Agile and Scrum principles.
Examples of the work you may be doing are:
- Using FME to create complex data flows – both spatial and non-spatial
- Use Python to generate PDF maps at the touch of a button
- Use Microsoft Power Query to extract, transform and load data into an Excel data model.
- Use Microsoft Power Pivot to manage Excel data models and create Measures using DAX.
- Use Excel's OLAP Tools to construct advanced formulas.
- Visualise data using Power BI to demonstrate the effectiveness of our ASB interventions
- Write an SQL query that joins multiple system tables together to create an Adults Social Care data model
- Extract data from multiple systems to our Corporate Data Warehouse to create a Vulnerability Model
- Use API’s to pull data from the web to join with local sources of information, creating a Barnsley view of Active Travel
- Researching the use of data mining, machine learning and predictive analytics.
- Integrate spatial data to enrich the intelligence to allow targeted intervention by locality
You must be willing to adapt and work independently but still be a critical part of the team and work closely with your colleagues to ensure a consistent message is provided to customers. That message is – data, information, performance and intelligence is crucial in driving forward change and improvement.
You will need a relevant level 6 qualification or equivalent to apply for this role.
A Remote / Digital interview will take place early/mid October with a start date as soon as possible after that.
Currently it is our policy to work from home/remotely wherever possible, but you may on occasion need to visit the office within Barnsley town centre.
Shape a better future with us
We’re thrilled to have achieved Investors in People (IIP) Gold status for how we lead, support and develop people. Now we’d like you to be part of our success and help us take change further. Join us on our journey to a brighter future. By working together, with each other and with our communities, we can take pride in improving lives. Let’s make a better Barnsley for everyone.
A lot to look forward to
Here at Barnsley, we live and work by four important values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service, and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling you to achieve your potential. So we’ve created a development process that lets you grow in the way that suits you - whether that’s training to be a leader, or learning flexibly online. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold, and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.