Payroll Officer - secondment/fixed term opportunity until the 31 March 2021 due to funding
Salary: Band 6 - £21,841 - £25,481 p.a.
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
As a payroll officer you will deal with a variety of tasks:
- Processing of new starters and leavers
- Input of permanent and temporary data whilst adhering to the Local Government terms and Conditions and meeting payroll timetable deadlines
- The manual calculation of overpayments and pay advances
- Dealing with employee queries both written and verbal
- The application and maintenance of Court Orders
- Dealing with queries from third parties, HMRC,DWP and Courts in a timely manner
- Assisting with the on boarding of new external clients
- Liaise with the pensions team ensuring starter and leaver notifications are sent in a timely manner
- To work with the payroll team to review processes and procedures on an ongoing basis
- Adhoc payroll duties
What you'll need to succeed
You will be both numerate and literate with an excellent knowledge of statutory payments/HRMC compliance. In addition, you will have good communication skills and be able to work quickly and accurately with the ability to meet deadlines.
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.