Would you enjoy working as part of a busy, friendly and well-respected Legal Team as an in-house advocate? The Joint Legal Team, based in the Civic Offices in Reading, provides a legal service in Public Law to the six Children Services Department in the Berkshire unitary authorities.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a large team of childcare lawyers as an advocate. You will conduct advocacy primarily in childcare and adoption proceedings and gain experience in all levels of the family court. You will have a varied caseload representing the JLT’s six distinctive client authorities. This will provide you with a challenging and interesting caseload. There will be a high volume of work and on occasions you will be dealing with emergency and urgent applications on short notice. You will work closely with the lawyer who has conduct of the case and on more complex cases will be involved in case preparation and strategic planning to achieve the best outcome for the subject child.
You will be managed by a member of the senior management team and receive regular supervision and support to develop your practice.
All members of the team are offered in-house training and updates on the latest legal developments to keep their legal knowledge updated and in line with both national and local practice.
We are seeking to recruit applicants who will commit to the continued success of the team and to the high standard of service which we provide to our clients. Successful candidates will be rewarded with an interesting and varied workload in a friendly and supportive working environment.
Requirements for this role:
- We require an admitted Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives.
- Relevant experience as a childcare specialist in local government or private practice and have an excellent working knowledge of key child care legislation.
- A real commitment to this area of work.
You will be working in a business focussed environment and will be supported to provide a quality service to our client authorities.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.