Lawyer – Property and Commercial Property
Full time, permanent
Salary £35,211 to £42,988 per annum (Level 1), and £41,978 to £48,133 (Level 2)
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Lawyer to provide legal advice and support to the Council in the areas of property and commercial property – including residential, commercial, housing and development projects.
In return, we offer an opportunity to undertake interesting, varied and high profile work, job satisfaction, training, and work life balance.
You will be located in our offices close to Guildford Town Centre. In addition you will be rewarded with an attractive package of staff benefits which includes local government pension scheme membership, flexible work arrangements, generous leave, tax savings on child care costs, training and development, annual subscription for professional membership to a professional organisation, staff discounts and subsidised restaurant.
For more information about the role, contact Diane Owens, Legal Lead Specialist (Solicitor Corporate, Commercial and Property) 01483 444027.
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful candidate prior to appointment.
Closing date for applications: 31st August 2020
To provide expert, professional advice and support to enable teams across the council to deliver quality services for customers.
Providing support and expertise in legal matters to help colleagues do their jobs well
Helping the council to manager risk and stay compliant in the delivery of public services and projects
- Deliver customer-focused specialist advice and services for one area of specialism, keeping up to date with current and emerging legislation, best practice and policy to ensure continuous development and improvement in services
- Manage complex or contentious applications, cases and inspections that will require an understanding of one specialist area, processes and compliance, regulations and legislation, acting as the single point of contact for customers on those cases, attending court as appropriate
- Support, guide and advise the Resources Case Management team on less complex cases related to the specialism
- Ensure personal, professional development is maintained to the required standards.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation, Members and managing key relationships e.g. with members, partners, other stakeholders.
- Access and accurately update all relevant information systems, both customer and back office ensuring that the master customer record is updated and maintained through verification and validation, and in accordance with Data Protection principles
Level 2 (in addition to the above):
- Acting as member of corporate or community project teams - providing specialist advice and input
- Owning key professional and technical stakeholder relationships on behalf of the council relevant to day-to-day delivery of services or projects
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
How to Apply
Our preferred method is online application however if you do require a hard copy application pack please contact Human Resources, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB. Telephone (01483) 444111 (24-hr). Alternatively e-mail email@example.com quoting the relevant post number. Please note that we do not accept CVs, please ensure that you complete the application form fully. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers. Follow us on Twitter @GuildfordBC