ABOUT THE NEW Youth & Family Resilience Service (YFRS)
The Youth & Family Resilience Service will be at the forefront of ensuring a holistic and wraparound support offer for children at risk of being excluded and those educated outside of mainstream schools. The evidence demonstrates that children and young people excluded from school experience limited life chances when compared with peers who are not excluded. Over the last five years, Waltham Forest has seen significant increases in permanent and fixed-term exclusions from our schools.
SCHOOL INCLUSION AND ALTERNATIVE PROVISION IN WALTHAM FORESY
Our new strategy to improve inclusion in schools and alternative provision (AP) approved by Cabinet in 2020. The strategy was produced in collaboration between the education sector and the council and aims to:
- help ensure the best start in life by keeping children & young people safe
- maximise educational & vocational outcomes;
- strengthen emotional health and well-being;
- reduce offending rates of young people educated outside mainstream settings.
We will test our new whole-system delivery model over the coming year, creating a joined-up, multi-tier approach from self-help and school-based inclusion through to long-term AP.
ABOUT THE ROLE: YFRS SEFEGUARDING LEAD IN AP AND INLCUSION
Pay SCale: PO4
In this role, you will take lead responsibility on behalf of YFRS for advice, support and challenge to colleagues and partners across schools and other settings on all safeguarding-related issues during strategy groups, case work, case transfers, education transitions and safeguarding arrangements such as risk panels.
You will coordinate work with partner agencies to ensure that an enhanced safeguarding offer is in place for children and young people who are vulnerable and who have risk factors in their lives, including wider family and environmental factors risk factors. The job requires offering expert advice, support and challenge to schools and alternative settings around safeguarding and how to maintain focus on outcomes for children and young people. You will also:
- coordinate and promote parent and family engagement strategy for children and young people at risk of exclusion, children attending AP and those reintegrating to mainstream settings;
- contribute to quality assurance, systemic practice embedding, monitoring and evaluation of YFRS and partner provision such that they lead to a strengthened safeguarding response to children and young people and increased family resilience and wellbeing;
- to ensure that local authority services, schools, settings, partner agencies and families are given the expert guidance regarding vulnerable or at-risk children and young people, including advice on systemic, trauma-informed, and child-first approaches.
How to Apply
Application Information The councils preference is for on-line application forms. However if you have a disability and are unable to complete an on-line application, please ring 0208 496 4227 who will be able to arrange an alternative. For more information on how to complete your application form, follow this link: Applying for a job at Waltham Forest Council
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.