Reading is a great place to live and work. One of the UK’s best-connected locations, benefiting from already exceptional transport links which will only be enhanced when Crossrail arrives. We empower our employees to deliver their best, in a way that suits their lifestyle. As such we benefit from a diverse team, many live locally but many are based much further away. We’re happy to consider flexible working patterns for this post and would be comfortable with the role being delivered up to three days a week from home.
About the role
You’ll lead the co-ordination and consolidation of the Medium Term Financial Strategy and annual budget, working with Finance Business Partners and their internal clients. We’ll need you to ensure the effective delivery of high quality financial support and information to senior management and members to enable good decision making that will ultimately improve performance.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the Council’s financial analysis and financial modelling
- Provide expert support and facilitation to Council budgeting and planning
- Oversee the training arrangements for the Finance Service, including supporting and mentoring the apprentices and trainee accountant(s).
- Take overall responsibility for existing and new financial models, including the Collection Fund, and reporting methods
- As a qualified accountant, you will bring a wealth of knowledge in respect of facilitating and co-ordinating budgeting and planning cycles.
- Naturally curious with an eye for detail we’ll need you to ensure budget assumptions and proposals are actively reviewed to strengthen budget confidence.
- Local government knowledge will really help you to hit the ground running, as will the ability to build effective relationships with colleagues.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
- A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including;
- Generous holiday entitlement - 30 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years.
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 10th August 2020
Interview Date: Week commencing 17th August
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.