Be part of something important; Help prevent the spread of Covid-19 in Berkshire.
Bracknell Forest hosts a unique team, Public Health for Berkshire – a shared service that supports public health work across the County’s six local authorities.
As part of our response to Covid-19 we are enhancing our health protection support to public health teams across Berkshire. Two Health Protection Hubs are forming, one for the Eastern half of our patch and one for the West. The Health Protection Specialist is a key role, providing highly skilled expertise and advice to our local teams to keep people safe from Covid-19.
The Hubs will support our new Health Protection Boards and Outbreak Engagement Boards and advise local systems on the best actions to minimise the impact of Covid on our residents, their families and communities.
What it’s like working in our team…
In other times our team would be based in Bracknell Forest Council Offices but at the moment we are all working from home. We are still very much a team, working across our public health network from Slough to West Berkshire and meeting virtually on a regular basis. We work closely with partner organisations across local government, the NHS and voluntary and community sector.
The Health Protection Specialist will interpret guidance and evidence and be the point of contact for our local PHE Thames Valley Health Protection Team. The Specialist will work with local public health teams across Berkshire Local Authorities to prevent Covid infection and advise on actions to take in the event of a local outbreak.
This post is for 18 months in the first instance with the possibility of being made permanent. We are open to secondments or appointments - please discuss with your line manager if you are seeking a secondment.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
- To provide specialist expertise to local teams on prevention of Covid.
- To set up systems for the Health Protection Hub.
- To advise on action in the event of a local outbreak.
- To interpret and contextualise guidance and evidence.
- To produce papers and data for the Director of Public Health, the Health Protection Board and the Outbreak Engagement Board.
- To manage the Health Protection Coordinator.
- To ensure accurate records are kept.
- To lead on Covid control actions as needed such as arranging testing or investigation of outbreaks.
- To develop and maintain strong collaborations with colleagues in Public Health England, the NHS and Berkshire LAs.
- To work as a productive team member in the Public Health Shared Team.
The benefits you will experience are…
- Regular opportunities for development working in a specialist team with internal and external training courses.
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we’re looking for…
You will be a proven specialist in health protection matters and be knowledgeable about the epidemiology and control of Covid-19. You will have a detailed understanding of decision-making processes in health protection with experience of working in this specialty. You will be able to work across partnerships and in democratically led organisations.
You will have a genuine passion for public health and understand the need to tackle health inequalities. You will be someone who takes initiative and hit the ground running. You will need to be focussed and flexible, able to balance work on prevention with the need for an urgent response. You will be well organised with excellent written and verbal communication able to explain complex technical material to lay audiences. You will be able to manage confidential and sensitive information and keep accurate records.
You will know your way around MS Office software and be well versed in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
And you will be at your best working as part of a team.
Interviews will be held on 10/08/2020.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Name: Tessa Lindfield
Job Title: Strategic Director of Public Health
Phone Number: 07787 517 521
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.