Senior Tribunal Officer
£38,799 - £41,706 per annum
We are expanding our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Integrated Service (SENDIS) Team within Merton Council children’s services and are currently recruiting for a SEN Tribunal Officer. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the lives of children in Merton. You will work closely with families and support the delivery of an outstanding service, leading to improved outcomes for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
As a SEN Tribunal Officer you will manage the cases and represent the Local Authority at the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Tribunal (SENDIST) and mediation. You will need to have knowledge of the SENDIST and mediation process, the SEN Code of Practice, SEN statutory duties of the Local Authority and Disability Legislation relating to schools and Local Authorities.
Key elements of the role are:
- To work closely with internal and external stakeholders, including parents/carers, legal services, schools and colleges
- To represent the Local Authority at SENDIST Tribunals and mediation hearings.
- To lead in the allocation and attendance processes linked to mediation and resolution of all disputes relating to the SEND Tribunal process.
- To ensure all documentation linked to SEND appeals are distributed appropriately and within specified time constraints.
- Assisting in developing practice which reduced the Local Authority’s exposure to the risk of appeals to Tribunal, litigation and judicial review/complaints to the Local Government Ombudsman.
- Preparing evidence where appropriate for panel.
- A commitment to outstanding standards of customer care and service delivery and supporting the equal opportunity strategy working to resolve inequalities experienced by those in contact with the SEN service.
- Lead on supporting SENDIS with responses to complaints received about the services delivered and MP enquiries
- Provide training and case supervision to the SEN Team regarding complaints, mediation, appeals and MP enquiries.
Interviews will be held on 14th August 2020.