Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
This is a training position to become a fully qualified Plumber.
As part of this apprenticeship you will assist with the provision of a high quality repairs service, maintaining council’s housing stock in respect of Plumbing and basic multi trade
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
To assist qualified craft person with the following duties:
- The ability to carry out all aspects of plumbing and waste work on maintenance, repairs, refurbishment and capital projects to Council properties.
- The safe driving and loading of vehicles.
- To understand, install, service and maintain plumbing systems and appliances which may involve heavy lifting.
- To renew, maintain and repair all elements of plumbing and waste installations.
- To renew and repair external plumbing and waste installations and apparatus.
- To be fully conversant with all materials and component parts.
- To be able to converse and liaise with other employees of various trades, customers, managers, caretakers etc
- To carry out jobs according to instruction.
- To ensure that work is carried out in accordance with all Health and Safety at Work regulations and codes of practice, including wearing protective clothing as supplied, and to attend training as requested.
- Willingness to learn other trades and knowledge.
- To maintain a professional and cordial relationship with tenants whose homes are visited
- To ensure all rubbish and waste is cleared away and disposed of correctly
- Numerate and literate.
- Good team player.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Minimum 5 GCSE’s.
- Entry level qualification in relevant trade.
- Experience of dealing with the public.
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call
Team Manager Garry Hayward 01474 337 575
Technical Manager Mark Cordingley 01474 337 619
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.