Job Title: Residential Child Care Worker
Hours: Full Time -37 hours per week
Salary Range: £20,344 progressing to £26,699 (depending on experience) + Non-Contractual Market Forces.
Our Residential Child Care Workers transform lives.
Hertfordshire County Council are offering an exciting opportunity to play a lead role in the expansion and development of children’s homes run by the County. Wanting the best for our children, we are developing our current in-house residential services to best meet the needs of our children. Following significant County Council investment, our new Residential Strategy seeks to bring children closer to families and the communities that they know, living in high quality provision designed around them. We are looking for Residential Child Care Workers who will be fully supported by hands on and committed managers, great access to training and a support network including Health and Education colleagues.
We understand the importance of getting it right for our young people and offering them the best we can be. By applying knowledge and research into practice and working innovatively to understand the impact of trauma we are committed to the highest quality of care. We believe in nurturing positive relationships and are wholly dedicated to never giving up on a child.
We work within the well-established ARC (Attachment self-Regulation and Competency) model of trauma informed practice. ARC, pioneered by the Boston Trauma Centre, has been in place in Hertfordshire for 10 years. Hertfordshire is fully committed to training which fosters skills and expertise around therapeutically working with and supporting children who have experienced developmental trauma.
Our services are rated as Good and Outstanding with Ofsted and this is the standard we continually commit to deliver.
We offer those young people that have experienced traumatic life events a home where they can be nurtured and supported with a shared vision of determination for a positive future. Supported by a multi-agency team who are passionate about helping these young people find their strengths and explore what they want to achieve with their lives, our homes are a uniquely dynamic and supportive place to be.
- We are looking for compassionate individuals with the capacity to connect with teenagers. While you will bring plenty of empathy to the role, you will also be able to set boundaries – so you will need to demonstrate patience and resilience.
- It would be ideal if you have experience of working with children or young people in a residential setting.
- You must have full driving licence and will on occasions need to use your own car for business, although you will have access to unit car whilst on shift.
- Ability to find and use creative ways to communicate with children, you will also be quick to learn, and willing to work flexibly and innovatively to meet the changing and challenging needs of the children.
- Ability to form trusted relationships with young people in your care by supporting them with their social and emotional development, educational achievement, whilst setting boundaries and bringing consistency to their lives as any good parent would.
- Applying the ARC model as a therapeutic form of intervention you will help teenagers make sense of their backgrounds and find a positive way forward. Full training is given which fosters skills and expertise around therapeutically working with and supporting children who have experienced developmental trauma.
In addition to the above roles we are creating a support team of residential staff who will form part of a response team responsible for county wide cover. Not attached to a particular home, this team will support fellow colleagues and services where additional staff are needed to cover.
Hertfordshire is a County of Opportunity; These roles will provide you with the opportunity to study for a fully-funded NVQ level 4 Children, Young Person and Family Practitioner. You will also be expected to work shifts including evenings, weekends, bank holidays and sleep-in duties. Additional payments are paid for out-of-hours work.
Hertfordshire County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all our employees. This includes:
- Competitive Salary Starting from £20,344 per Annum plus Market forces payment.
- Tailored training to develop in your role.
- Free parking at all our sites
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Financial Wellbeing Scheme
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Staff discounts in gyms, travel agents, car sales, restaurants and days out
- Strong links with university courses
- Work/life balance and staff wellbeing
- Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
- Excellent Career Development
- Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
- Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
- Shopping Discounts
- Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
Closing date: This is an on-going advert
Interview date: Regular weekly virtual interviews
PLEASE COMPLETE THE ATTACHED EMPLOYMENT AND REFERENCE PRO-FORMA FORM AND UPLOAD WHILE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Safeguarding children and adults is of utmost importance to Hertfordshire County Council. The Council requires employees to abide by legislation and best practice to enable Hertfordshire to achieve this. This role has been identified as requiring a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check. For more information click here
As part of this role, you will be required to travel to other HCC Sites/Residences either using your own mode of transport or a company car. In light of this, the ability to drive and/or travel around the County is required for this role.
How to Apply:
Please follow the 'Apply for Job' button at the bottom of the screen. As part of the application you will be required to provide a supporting statement which is your opportunity to evidence how your skills, knowledge and experience match what we are looking for based on the Person Specification area of the attached Job Outline. If you do not supply a supporting statement, your application may be rejected.
PLEASE NOTE: All questions marked with a * are mandatory questions and must be answered - you will not be able to submit your application until all mandatory questions have been answered. For further guidance on how to apply: Click Here
“We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post"