Senior Health and Safety Advisor
This is a new and exciting role to help us transform our approach to health and safety across the councils.
This role is responsible for delivering a new health and safety strategy and the policies and arrangements for delivering its implementation across the councils. To do this you will work in conjunction with the Head of Corporate Services, the Customer Assurance Manager and Assurance Team Leader and other managers and staff across the councils, in particular the property team.
Senior Health and Safety Advisor Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the achievement of both councils’ overall objectives by aligning the team to identified priorities.
• Contribute to and write papers for the senior management team, cabinet, full council, committees etc and, where appropriate, presenting them.
• Provide input into the creation and deployment of service plans.
• Contribute to budget planning, management and expenditure oversight. (overseeing and controlling the budget for your work area as required up to £10,000.00).
• Promote a positive image of both councils.
Senior Health and Safety Advisor Requirements:
• Comprehensive knowledge of health and safety legislation, guidance and best practice in a related sector
• Well-developed understanding of the importance of health and safety strategy and policy and the practical steps required for their effective implementation
• Minimum of five years’ experience in health and safety in a management or supervisory role
• Membership of a relevant professional body, such as IOSH, with up to date CPD training
• Proven track record of proactively identifying problems and taking the initiative for solving them
• Degree or equivalent qualification
• NEBOSH diploma or equivalent qualification
About the District Councils:
South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 4SB
Job type: Full time, Permanent, 37 hours per week
Salary: £44,534 to £48,953 per annum
Benefits: 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years (Pro-rata for part time employees), flexible working and annualised hours, career average pension scheme, free parking, cycle to work scheme, and more.
Closing Date: Friday 24 July 2020
You may have experience of the following: SHEQ Advisor, Health and Safety Advisor, H&S Officer, H&S Advisor, Health and Safety Advisor, NEBOSH, IOSH, Risk Assessment, Health & Safety Consultant, CMIOSH, SHE Advisor, Quality Assurance, H&S, SHEQ etc.