Ref no: 3153 - 3882
Portsmouth, the Great Waterfront City, is a vibrant and exciting place to live and work, with a proud naval and maritime heritage. With a superb location on the Solent that is easily commutable from West Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth is home to great culture, events and shopping.
As well as 26 days holiday each year plus bank holidays, you'll also benefit from membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, flexible working arrangements and the opportunity to take advantage of season ticket discounts and childcare vouchers.
What is the role?
We recently secured funding to develop a project to restore and improve Victoria Park in Portsmouth. The project has been supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
As a result, we are looking to appoint a community engagement officer to support the development of our second round application and potentially the delivery of the project. The role will involve:
- Leading on community engagement, establishing the friends group, outreach work with excluded communities, and engaging volunteers
- Liaising with relevant residents, community representatives, schools, partners and other organisations to develop and deliver activities
- Working with the Communications Team for press releases, social media and website content
- Organising and managing events and activities including staff and volunteer attendance, managing suppliers, marketing and promotion, data collection
- Supporting the project manager in collecting project evaluation data
- Identifying the needs and issues within communities through research and consultation with residents, community representatives and groups, Officers and Members
- Facilitating positive and effective partnerships between community and voluntary groups, public sector bodies and stakeholders with clear objectives and measurable outcomes
- Helping community and voluntary groups achieve self-reliance by signposting or helping access programmes of support and/or training
- Working with minority groups to help improve social inclusion
- Regularly reviewing the progress of projects against agreed outcomes/targets and produce written reports as required
- Facilitating and managing meetings
The role will initially be offered on a 12-month fixed term basis for the development phase of the project. However, subject to satisfactory performance by the post-holder and a successful second round bid, the post may be extended to cover the delivery phase.
Who is the person?
You will have experience of:
- Managing events
- Community engagement
- Stakeholder management
- External communication
- Working with volunteers
You will ideally have a good understanding of the social and economic issues affecting communities in Portsmouth, as well as experience of supporting the development of community groups.
You will have excellent communication and influencing skills, which you will use to establish strong links into the community and develop partnership working.
Organised and driven, you will be self-motivated and resilient. You should demonstrate the ability to manage your own time effectively and be comfortable with remote working.
A detailed knowledge of best practice in events management and community engagement is required.
You will be educated to GCSE level at grade C or above and ideally hold A levels and a relevant qualification in community engagement, events management and/or communications.
Before applying, please consider how much of the role will be impacted by Covid-19 and social distancing, and how you might overcome these challenges.