Join us here at Reading Borough Council, and you can look forward to a rewarding new role as part of a friendly and supportive team. We can offer excellent training and development, not to mention a range of great benefits. So be part of an organisation that will genuinely value you and your contribution to our success. Get in touch now!
About the role
The Parks Team is currently looking for skilled and experienced arborists to join our growing team responsible for the maintenance of trees on public land in Reading.
- The successful candidate will have extensive experience in climbing and working from a rope and harness in all weather conditions.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of tree maintenance equipment, especially chainsaws and chippers.
- A sound knowledge of health & safety relating to tree work is essential.
- Self-motivated, courteous to customers and a good team worker.
- You should be trained to Level 2 in Arboriculture and hold NPTC Certificates of Competence in chainsaw use, felling and pruning, and use of mobile elevated working platforms.
- You should have a full European driver’s licence and be licensed to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and to tow.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Opportunities for overtime at enhanced rates of pay.
- All PPE, equipment and necessary training are provided by the employer. Most work is local to Reading.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
For more information, please contact Kevin Lee or Carolyn Jenkins in the Parks Team on Treework@reading.gov.uk
Closing date: Monday 20th July 2020.
Interviews will be held during the week commencing 27 July 2020.
For the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.