You will support the Chief Executive and the senior management leadership team by providing a professional lead on the Corporate Health and Safety agenda for Portsmouth City Council.
To ensure the Council meets the legislative requirements and protects employees and customers using Council premises and services.
To work proactively with the elected members, Corporate Management Team, managers, employees and other stakeholders to establish and maintain a system that promotes a culture of safe working practices across the Council.
The post holder is the nominated competent Health and Safety Advisor for Portsmouth City Council as required by law, and provides leadership for the in house Health and Safety team.
The main duties of the role are:
- Develop and successfully deliver the Health & Safety Management System (and associated policies, training and strategies etc.) for the organisation, with the aim of ensuring the organisation meets its health and safety requirements.
- Effectively lead and manage the Health and Safety team. Develop the health and safety service across the council and ensure the service meets the changing needs of the organisation and current legislation.
- Work in partnership with stakeholders and offer support, expert advice and deliver appropriate solutions and interventions to the organisation to promote effective risk management and effective working practices.
- Develop creative, innovative and bespoke safety solutions and interventions to tackle organisational and Directorate issues and support the drive for proactive safety management effectiveness across the whole organisation.
- Identify and prioritise risks and coordinate Health & Safety workload to ensure compliance with legislation and the health and safety of staff, visitors, service users and contractors.
- Advise managers, Council Committees and the Corporate Management Teams on health and safety issues.
- To deputise for Senior Management as required as regards Health and Safety Issues.
- To manage and maintain an organisation wide Health and Safety framework ensuring appropriate policies and guidance are in place.
- Oversee the delivery of corporate health and safety training.
- Delivery of specific health and safety projects across the organisation.
- Represent the Council and work with statutory bodies such as the HSE and the Fire Service.
- Work in partnership with senior stakeholders and offer support, expert advice and deliver appropriate solutions and interventions to the organisation to promote culture change and effective working practices.
- Undertake all management responsibilities for the Health and Safety Team and demonstrate best practice in management techniques.
- Be responsible for developing, measuring and delivering on performance management initiatives within the Health & Safety function.
- Effectively manage the Health & Safety budget allocated by the Council.
- Liaise with enforcement agencies as necessary on behalf of the Council.
- Identify and develop future business growth opportunities and service development within the Health & safety service