The Fostering Service is looking for a motivated and experienced individual who has both knowledge and practical experience of work within a fostering team, Kinship and Fostering recruitment teams. An individual who will be able to manage social workers in line with statutory requirements and standards ensuring they meet their goals. Helping to recruit and retain sufficient numbers of carers to meet the needs of looked after children whilst ensuring our foster carers feel valued and have the appropriate skills/training to do the job we are asking them to do.
North Somerset Fostering Service is looking to the future and we are excited about implementing a Mockingbird framework. Our initial Mockingbird constellation launched in November 2019. We are currently working on our 2nd and 3rd constellation, our aim is that North Somerset Fostering will be fully encompassed within Mockingbird. We have also invested in a marketing project to improve and increase the recruitment of Foster Carers. We in our service and we are fully focused on, and committed to, providing those children we care for the best possible service.
You will have experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment. You will have significant experience in working in statutory services, safeguarding services and regulated services. You will need to be confident and competent at making decisions to safeguard and protect children;
- You will be able to take a key role in planning, developing and improving services; You will be empathetic and sensitive to the needs of those reporting to you
- You will know how to measure and monitor practice and performance to ensure individuals and the service as a whole operates to a consistently good standard; You will be diplomatic, fair and robust enough to deal with complaints and challenges
- You will be an influential negotiator when dealing with potential and actual conflict; You will have excellent communication skills and be able to convey complex messages in a straightforward way, both verbally and in writing
- You will not be afraid to think creatively to solve problems
- You will be able to build strong and positive working relationships with our Community Family Teams and Children Looked After Team’s and those Multi Professionals who are able to provide the support to our service.
You will lead and develop the skills of a team of social workers and other staff delivering statutory services and retain accountability for the management of cases, budgets and performance so that the best outcomes for children are achieved. You will undertake professional reflective supervision of staff to ensure effective decision making on cases and professional development through reflective practice. You will play a key role in developing and maintaining relationships with other teams/partner agencies and ensure that social workers are being an effective partner to these.
The postholder will report directly to the Service Leader and will be making day to day safeguarding decisions, HR actions and any other tasks as required. As part of this role you will have regular and “at point of need” supervision and support from both the Service Leader and the Assistant Director. You will work with a dynamic and motivated management team who are passionate about our children being the best versions of themselves and about supporting and promoting the professional development of our colleagues. The team is based in The Town Hall, Weston-super-Mare.
This post is exempt under the provisions of the Rehabilitations of Offenders Act (Exceptions) Order 1975 and is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
For an informal discussion, please contact Dawn Newton on 01275 88 2939.
Anticipated interview date: afternoon of Thursday 23 July 2020
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, gender, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.