Elections Officer Level 1
Permanent, full time (37 hours per week)
Salary: £23,019 – £26,624 per annum
We are looking for someone to join Guildford Borough Councils motivated and highly professional Electoral Services Team.
Some of the key responsibilities will include:
- To provide administrative and technical support in the conduct of elections, referendums and other polls, maintaining the staff database, appointing election staff.
- To utilise knowledge of electoral registration law to process all categories of individual electoral registration in accordance with strict deadlines considering statutory information required to constitute a complete application and entitlement to register.
- To undertake data matching, request evidence and handle sensitive personal information.
- To assist in conducting the annual canvass of all households in accordance with statutory regulations.
We would prefer you to already hold the Certificate in Electoral Administration or have demonstrable experience working in an electoral services team. We will provide support for your on-going professional development.
We are looking for someone who has a passion for being part of the democratic process, enjoys working in a busy and challenging environment. You must be a team player, work on your own initiative and organise your own workload.
You will need to be computer literate, have excellent oral and written communication skills, a high level of accuracy, work under pressure and be flexible to work extended hours. Political awareness is essential, as you will be dealing with the elected councillors, members of the public and other key stakeholders. This role has access to personal data and will therefore be subject to a Basic DBS check.
For an informal discussion contact Elaine Bradbrook, Electoral Services Manager on 01483 444126 or 07890 591923.
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
- Closing date: 3 July 2020 Interviews: Week beginning 13 July 2020