Are you ready for a new and exciting challenge? Would you like to work as the Head of Legal Services in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
The Falkland Islands Government is seeking a suitably qualified lawyer to lead their Legal Services Team. Reporting to the Attorney General, your small team will provide legal advice to all areas within the Government. The team includes the Islands’ prosecution service and child protection legal adviser, and has the responsibility to advise on a varied range of other public law, land law, contract and commercial matters. You will be called upon to deputise for the Attorney General as and when required.
This is a great opportunity to work in, and to lead, a small team at the very centre of Government in a unique British overseas territory.
Applicants should be admitted as a Solicitor or called as a Barrister in the UK, a Commonwealth country or in the Republic of Ireland, have a minimum of seven years relevant post qualified experience and be able to demonstrate a strong track record (of at least two years standing) of effective staff and resource management. Full details of the essential and desirable requirements for the post are outlined in the application pack.
- Initial 2-4 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range £74-92k; starting salaries will be dependent upon experience.
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days’ Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days’ leave).
- Relocation Allowance to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependants, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you get settled in.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.jobs.gov.fk
Closing date for applications is 20.00 UK time on 10 July 2020.
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about the role or application process, you can find contact details at the above link.
The Working Environment
Law and Regulation Directorate
The Directorate provides a number of services, led by separate service heads who each reports to the Attorney General. These services are crucial to the achievement of the Government’s ambitions.
- Legal Services provides general legal advice and support to the Governments of the Falkland Islands and also of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. We direct and conduct public prosecutions and act for Government in all legal proceedings and transactions. We also support the development and delivery of Government initiatives and projects by providing sound legal advice.
- The Registry maintains registers for property, births, marriages and deaths, local companies and charities. In addition to providing registry services, it provides a vital service to the community by ensuring elections are fair and the will of the people is freely expressed.
- The Regulatory team protects the people of the Falkland Islands by regulating Civil Aviation and Telecommunications.
- The Legislation team carries out the legislative drafting function, which supports the Government by turning policy into legislation. The Statue Law Commissioner also manages the online publication of laws and a programme of law revision, and monitors UK laws.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities across a broad spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government (eg, taxation, legislation and policy) as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health, social services and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, approximately 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.