ALL ABOUT WINCHESTER:
The Council’s offices are in the heart of the Cathedral City of Winchester, the ancient capital of England and the county town of Hampshire. The city itself is a major tourist destination attracting 5 million visitors a year, hosting many events including the Hat Fair, Boomtown Music Festival, Cycle Fest and the hugely popular Christmas Market.
Winchester City Council serves a large district which spans 250 square miles of central Hampshire with a population of 122,000 residents. There are bustling market towns, each with their own distinct characters, and Whitely with its state-of-the-art shopping and leisure facilities. We are also the official gateway to the South Downs National Park with its quiet hamlets and beautiful countryside.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
If you are looking for a career which gives you the opportunity to combine your interest in business administration with your communication and people skills we’d like to hear from you. We are seeking a motivated individual to join our Resources Directorate working across the Human Resources and Legal Services Teams.
Winchester City Council’s apprenticeship scheme offers a valuable alternative career path to full time college or university study, with the aim of developing well-rounded, administrators with transferable skills and valuable work experience in the public sector.
Winchester City Council’s Business Administrator apprenticeship scheme is a great way to gain valuable work experience while working towards a recognised qualification. Your time will be spent studying at Eastleigh College and working within the HR and Legal Teams where you will have the opportunity to put your new skills to the test and learn about these diverse areas of our business. The council will fully support you in your learning and 20% ‘off the job’ training.
Further information on the apprenticeship can be found here.
It is anticipated that you will commence employment with Winchester City Council up to 2 weeks prior to starting your course at Eastleigh College in September 2020.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER:
We offer an a excellent salary and benefits package, including 27 days annual leave, flexible working and membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme. The cost of your course will be fully funded through the Apprenticeship Levy with no cost to yourself.
4 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or higher including Maths and English.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Have an interest in the HR and/or Legal
- Respect confidentiality
- Be willing to undertake a comprehensive study programme as set by Eastleigh College
- Enthusiasm to work
- Good time keeping
- Good team work ethic
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good at listening and working on advice
- Adhere to council policies
- IT literate – knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
Note: You are not eligible for this scheme if you currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject. Further note, prior relevant experience may be considered.
DAILY TASKS WILL INCLUDE:
- Assist with administration support to the Council’s Human Resources and Legal Services teams across a range of areas (including recruitment, Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, Learning and Development, Freedom of Information (FOI) queries and similar enquiries); .
- With support from colleagues respond to a range of day to day HR and Legal related issues, using council policy and procedures correctly and seeking advice from colleagues as appropriate.
- Assist the legal team to carry out pre court checks and maintain the court diary; provide admin support as appropriate to respond to Employment Tribunal claims.
- Develop confidence in using and maintaining confidential HR and Legal information systems to update data and records.
- Assist with general office administration to the HR team and Legal Services team as required, including photocopying, filing, diary management.
- Assisting on various HR and Legal projects as required under supervision and guidance from colleagues.
- Undertake training as appropriate to develop skills required to complete the apprenticeship programme.
Closing date - 30th June 2020
Interview date - July/August 2020 (tbc)