Reading Borough Council has committed to an ambitious transformation programme and savings strategy for the benefit of its customers, transforming the way we deliver our services. We are really proud of our new Customer Experience strategy and you can read about it here https://www.reading.gov.uk/article/10404/Customer-care
About the role
Key to our transformation programme is the ability to oversee a portfolio of strategically focused projects and programmes – that’s where you come in. This exciting post is part of the management team of our Project Management Office (PMO),a team of experienced project management and change professionals. You will be working in a fast-paced, digitally focused team which strives to put our customer first.
The role’s main areas of responsibility:
- Oversee a portfolio of projects and programmes delivering the Council’s ambitious transformation and savings strategy – focused on our Customer Experience and IT/Digital strategy programmes
- Lead the development and scoping of these programmes, providing strategic oversight of their projects and managing cross cutting workstreams
- Supporting Directorates in translating strategies and ambitions into new business cases for transformation aligning to the strategic vision of the council
Management responsibility for a multidisciplinary resource team that provides support and leadership to other managers and business change teams within the organization, helping develop a business change culture.
- Extensive experience, specifically within the Programme Manager specialism, of strategic and operational programme planning and delivery of complex, high impact programmes and projects
- Significant experience of delivery of cross cutting IT and digital projects that have had significant impact on business transformation and improving the way we deliver services to customers
- Great influencing and negotiations skills that enable you to work at all levels of the organization
- Leadership skills that inspire others by being enthusiastic and positive
- Good interpersonal skills with experience of working across teams
- Agile thinking and, ideally, familiarity with agile delivery methods
If you think you have the skills, energy and passion to work with us and make a difference we would love to hear from you.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Please be aware that for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Closing Date: 01ST June 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change