At Reading Borough Council we recognise the power of data to provide business insight and intelligence to transform services and enable better outcomes for our customers. We are backing this by investing in the skills and capacity to deliver and looking for an experienced data scientist with the passion and curiosity to drive use of the data the council holds; getting to the heart of our business challenges and providing actionable insights to decision makers.
You will lead a new team to establish a data observatory and deliver a data strategy that maximises the value of the data that the council holds. Yow will advise and drive data quality standards across the organisation, identify opportunities and implement data science solutions to real world issues; providing analysis and insights that inform the wide range of essential public services that we provide.
Advising on specification and application of appropriate analytical tools and techniques you will create information which supports business decision-making, formatting and communicating results, using textual, numeric, graphical and other visualisation methods appropriate to the target audience.
You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment across a diverse range of services, systems and data so you’ll need to get to grips with multiple lines of business, build quality relationships and work closely with technical and business colleagues from many different service areas.
To succeed in this role you:
- Have great analytical and technical skills with significant experience of data management and analytics in a complex enterprise environment.
- Have the skills to extract, merging, cleanse, and manipulate large data sets.
- Have experience of applying statistical techniques, reporting and be comfortable presenting findings and recommendations to senior business colleagues across the council’s range of services.
- Are a self-starter with the drive and initiative to build and inspire your team and respond to business needs with innovative solutions.
- Are passionate about the power of data to improve services and outcomes for our customers
The Data Intelligence and Policy team is a multi-disciplinary team leading on the coordination of service plans, development of the Corporate Plan and accountable for performance management and reporting. The team supports development of key policies and liaises with the voluntary sector to deliver the Council’s strategic aims. We manage the Council’s geographical information systems and provide mapping services.
Following a service reorganisation we now have an exciting opportunity to expand our data intelligence offer by bringing new data science and analyst capabilities into the team to provide business insight in the development of policy and performance management.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing Date: 8th June 2020
Interview Date: 19th June 2020
By MS Teams video conference:
- Presentation (10mins)
- Question & answer panel interview based on Job Description (40mins)
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.