Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
Responsible to the Technical Manager (Housing Repairs)for the undertaking of technical inspections of Council properties for routine maintenance/ repair works.
Working with contractors, tenants other departments and organisations to ensure efficient and cost effective works are provided, on time.
- To survey properties to ascertain extent of works required. Identify defects, prepare specifications, schedules and drawings to enable works to proceed. This will include individual properties, large blocks, flats, garages, rear access ways etc.
- To carry out work in progress inspections.
- To undertake visits in regards to damp & mould and provide supportive guidance to tenants.
- Having inspected and specified works the post holder will prepare and place orders, quotations, and pricing or schedule in accordance with ‘schedules of rates’.
- Where appropriate supervise and the inspect works in progress. Certify work and confirm the payments. Oversee the performance of contractors, and other external contractors to achieve correct quality of work, including matters of health and safety likely to affect tenants, employees of the council or members of the public.
- Ensure that where work is rechargeable that the cost of the work and charge is recorded and notified to relevant officers.
- Ensure health and safety regulations are enforced.
- To deal with any tenant issues and complaints as and when they arise.
- To carry out post inspections for quality control purposes.
- Complete Mutual Exchange inspections and associated reporting.
- Working building knowledge
- Social Housing knowledge
- Repairs experience
- Experience of dealing with tenants and difficult situations
- Full driving licence required
- Excellent communications skills
- Damp and Mould qualification
In return we offer you
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Nicole Arthur ext 7928 or Mark Cordingley ext 7619
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regards to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.