Redbridge is an ambitious, diverse and exciting east-London borough. What we do is driven by changing our relationship with local people to support our vision. As a result, we've developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council.
We're one of the fastest growing parts of the country and the third most diverse London borough. Our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, relatively affordable housing, high-quality open space and rapid transport connections into the heart of the City.
Do you enjoy working with the public? Will you commit to providing a high quality, professional and customer focused service in an extremely busy environment?
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our Registration Services Team, the role will require you to register Births, Deaths and Marriages according to the Registration Acts within the Redbridge Registration District.
About the role
Redbridge Registration Services is looking for a dynamic, positive, confident and driven Registration Manager/Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages who is responsive collaborative, enterprising and whose service to the public is at the heart of everything they do. This is a wonderful opportunity to manage a team of multi-skilled Registration Officers in a fast-paced Register Office.
The job requires you to be personally involved with customers in both a professional and sensitive manner at life defining and emotional moments in their lives. You will manage a team of Registration Officers who register births, stillbirths, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships, take notices of marriage and civil partnership, conduct ceremonies, issue certificates and provide other related administrative services.
This is a statutory post and you will:
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge and have experience of Registration law and practice
- Have a proven track record of meeting targets ie key performance indicators
- Lead on training for all aspects of service delivery and for the continuous improvement of a service with a high public profile
- Develop and maintain partnership working with all appropriate external organisations
- Demonstrate strong clear leadership and the ability to work under pressure and demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Support and assist the Head of Registration and Celebratory Services/Superintendent Registrar with the strategic development of a high-quality Registration Service.
- Have operational management responsibility of the team to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery
- Ensure that all areas of the service meet identified needs and deliver continuous service improvements and development to enhance the quality of the experience of service users
- Deputise for the Superintendent Registrar where required
- Improve processes and procedures which will enhance the positive reputation of the Registration Service
- Carry out the statutory duties of a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages registering births, and deaths and registering marriages and civil partnerships
- Carry out the statutory duties of a Superintendent Registrar as their deputy
- Carry out the statutory duties of a Civil Partnership Registrar, conduct marriages, civil partnership, naming and renewal of vows ceremonies.
- Be responsible for the co-ordination of and maintenance of cash books and banking duties for this post.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills dealing tactfully and courteously with the public, particularly in emotional circumstances.
- Carry out duties in a prompt, accurate and efficient manner demonstrating the necessary degree of confidentiality, tact and diplomacy in your relationships.
The successful candidate should have proven experience of working in a Registration Service; have excellent managerial, organisational and communication skills; be able to lead a high performing team; be able to work under pressure in order to meet deadlines with meticulous attention to detail; have experience of working within strict regulations and legislation, be IT competent and have clear handwriting.
Please note: previous Registration Experience is essential for this role.
Candidates must hold a Full Driving Licence and have access to own vehicle.
Please note that this role involves working outside of normal office hours including weekends and Bank Holidays at different locations as required.
Doctors, midwives, ministers of religion, funeral directors and anyone working in the life assurance industry are not allowed to become registrars.
Ambitious for Redbridge
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.