What does a charity shop volunteer do?
Main Activities/ Tasks: To assist and serve customers, providing a service of the highest standard. To assist with processing stock, including sorting, steaming, pricing and hanging of donated items. To be involved with the till operation and the handling of cash (although this is not a necessary requirement).
Our Volunteers need to:
- Be dedicated in providing an enjoyable shopping experience
- Be reliable, and a good time-keeper
- Be friendly, polite and patient
- Be able to treat people with respect
- Have a flexible approach to voluntary tasks
- Be able to attend our induction and training sessions
Where does the volunteering role usually take place?
Volunteers will be based in our charity shop in Queens Road, Hastings.
What is the induction process for volunteers?
We ask our volunteers to complete an application form, provide two references and meet us for an informal chat. We also carry out a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service)
Following this, volunteers attend a one day induction, which helps them to:
- Understand more about the Association and the support it provides to Carers
Our charity shop manager will then provide full training required to volunteer in the charity shop, including:
- Stock preparation including: sorting, steam cleaning, pricing
- Stock display
- Till operation and money handling
What support do we offer our volunteers?
- We encourage our volunteers to call us or pop in to one of our offices if they need a chat, advice, or have any concerns
- We reimburse expenses incurred while volunteering, for example, travel expenses are reimbursed at a rate of 45 pence per mile
- We hold regular group supervision meetings throughout the year