Business Development Officer (CPLP021)
Salary £25,801 - £27,905 pa + Car Allowance up to £1,239 pa
Do you want to be part of one of the most significant growth programmes in the region?
Do you have the commitment and tenacity to help drive forward transformational change that will deliver thousands of new homes and jobs?
Mid Sussex is home to one of the largest strategic growth programmes in the south east. Over the next 10 years we will see major new investment in the district, focused around Burgess Hill. £100s of millions will be committed to delivering 5,000 new homes, new employment space, town centre regeneration, improvements to roads and railway stations, new and improved cycle links, and a major new Science and Technology park.
We are looking for a new Business Development Officer to join our Economic Development Team. It’s an exciting and varied role that will put you at the heart of a major growth programme. You will be helping to deliver a prosperous and sustainable local economy that will benefit residents across the whole district for decades to come.
Previous experience in an economic development role is not essential. We are however keen to hear from candidates who can demonstrate drive and initiative, along with the ability to build effective relationships with colleagues and partners internally and externally. Good drafting skills will be essential, along with the ability to manage a diverse workload and to ensure that challenging deadlines are met. Some knowledge of project and programme management techniques will be an advantage. Flexibility will be key, with a willingness to adapt to changing and evolving challenges.
The role will entail periodic attendance at meetings outside normal office hours. The Council operates a flexi time system so that any additional hours worked will count towards additional days off.
In a typical week the role may involve:
- Launching and managing new grant schemes to help local business
- Meeting senior managers from national or international businesses to discuss opportunities for local investment
- Servicing and arranging meetings for senior managers, councilors and cabinet members in which key policy questions will be decided
- Leading the planning and delivery of promotional events, and helping implement the Council’s Economic Development Marketing and Promotion Strategy
- Networking with the local business community
- Liaising with key partners organisations and managing contractors
- Working with managers across the business to track progress in the delivery of the Council’s Economic Development Strategy.
In addition to a competitive salary and car allowance you’ll also receive great staff benefits, including generous holiday, pension and car allowance. You will also enjoy discounted access to a number of health clubs in the district. Personal and professional training opportunities are also regularly available.
The Council offices are in the centre of Haywards Heath with free staff parking and within walking distance of the newly rebuilt mainline station.
If you would like to discuss this post informally please contact Mark Healy, Regeneration and Economy Programme Manager, 07720 899770
Closing date : 27 April 2020
Interview date: 7 May 2020