Senior Specialist (Financial Reporting)
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated accountant to join our specialist finance team. Reporting to the Lead Specialist for Finance, you will assist in the provision of an efficient and effective accounting service. The role undertakes the financial reporting function within the resources specialist department ensuring that the Council's accounts comply with all relevant legislation, including for charities and subsidiary companies.
The role will also be the accountant responsible for the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) providing a financial management service to include financial advice, monitoring, estimates and final accounts in accordance with statutory regulations.
You will have excellent communication skills and will work collaboratively and flexibly with members of the finance and case teams and key stakeholders across all levels of the organisation.
To be successful you will be a fully qualified accountant, with excellent knowledge of local government accounting requirements. The perfect candidate will also have good knowledge of companies and charities accounting.
- possess the necessary qualifications and experience to carry out the functions associated with the post (CCAB qualified accountant)
- have excellent knowledge of local government accounting requirements
- have the ability to communicate effectively to all levels and abilities of the organisation and to key stakeholders
- have knowledge or understanding of housing finance
- have knowledge or understanding of charity and company accounting
- have good knowledge of International Accounting Standards, and ideally good knowledge of CIPFA code of practice and proper accounting practice as relevant to a Local Authority or International public sector accounting standards (IPSAS)
- be able to work on their own initiative to resolve problems and work with and support other team members across the specialist and case team functions
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful candiadte prior to appointment.
How to Apply
Our preferred method is online application however if you do require a hard copy application pack please contact Human Resources, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB. Telephone (01483) 444111 (24-hr). Alternatively e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the relevant post number. Please note that we do not accept CVs, please ensure that you complete the application form fully. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers. Follow us on Twitter @GuildfordBC