Do you like project management? Getting caught in the rain? Not into yoga and have an analytical brain? Escape to north-east London and join our Portfolio Management Office as the PMO Innovation Lead.
What is the Portfolio Management Office?
Don’t worry, most people don’t know. We try not to take it personally. At Waltham Forest Council, the PMO is the strategic function behind the delivery team who manage transformational change for the council and residents (what a mouthful). We are responsible for three main functions: resourcing, reporting and assurance.
Resourcing: Ensuring that the right resources are available at the right time in order to deliver the key council priorities.
Reporting: Ensuring that everyone is kept up to date as how these priorities are being address, managing risks by exception and celebrating the successes.
Assurance: Working with stakeholders and project managers to ensure that risks/issues are being resolved at the earliest opportunity and learning from our (occasional) mistakes.
About the role
This role exciting opportunity for a skilled, imaginative and ambitious person to join the newly created Portfolio Management Office in the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
PMO Innovation Lead will be primarily responsible for pushing the PMO, the Change Agency (that delivery team mentioned above) and the rest of directorate to really push ourselves and continuously improve. Knowledge of best practices, modern values and behaviours and as well as strategic planning are key as you will be responsible for laying out the path towards being the best.
On top of this, you will provide specialist, hands on support and advice for Programme and Project Managers and play a proactive role in:
- lead the creation, deployment, and management of process, tools and frameworks to deliver change.
- Working on our frameworks and governance to make sure that they are fit for purpose for your portfolio
- Capture/ share knowledge to champion best practice and facilitate lessons learned
- Identifying and driving forward continuous improvement
- Actively managing stakeholder relationships to support delivery of the portfolio
What we are looking for:
- Positive and proactive approach to delivery
- Is passionate about providing unparalleled levels of service and convenience for all stakeholders
- Is able to work and learn quickly in a fast paced, fun and dynamic environment
- Is comfortable working with senior stakeholders and dealing with ambiguity
- Enjoys taking ownership of issue resolution.
- Sound understanding of project management processes, standards and governance
- Previous experience working in / within teams who employ both incremental and iterative methodologies
- Strong results focused leadership and communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively and influence others
- Significant delivery methodology knowledge, preferably PRINCE2, Agile, Waterfall and MSP
Rest of the team
Don’t worry, you won’t be the only one in the PMO. There are several other roles that you will be working with on a day to day basis
- Head of PMO: You will be working directly for the Head of the PMO, who is a senior manager as part of the wider Change Agency (that delivery team who manage transformational change for the council and residents we mentioned earlier).
She is responsible for managing our Directorate’s change portfolio, including senior leadership relationship management, working with the delivery teams around resourcing and leading the PMO to drive innovation and change from the heard of Corporate Development.
- PMO Assurance Lead: The assurance lead is responsible for the second two arms of the PMO – reporting and assurance. They are our proactive best practice person, trying to head off problems while their still risks, and our crisis function, the first person called in when a project is going wrong.
- PMO Analysts: Two analysts in our team are here to provide the insights and support to keep the delivery teams meeting their targets and realising their benefits. You will work with them to produce key reports and conduct initial analysis on our PMO systems.
About the borough
Waltham Forest is an ambitious Borough. Driven by culture and the innate creativity of our residents, we have developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council. As London’s first Borough of Culture we are creating more opportunities to empower our residents and boost their life chances.
Over the coming year we will work with our communities to set out what we want Waltham Forest to be by 2030; how that relates to the ever-changing world, and what that means for the services and infrastructure that we need to provide. We need to make sure that everything we are doing today supports that vision, and helps our residents succeed in an increasingly uncertain world.
Our Corporate Development department has been fundamental to Waltham Forest’s successful transformation. We have all of the levers to deliver sustainable change - human resources, digital, ICT, communications, culture, policy, strategy and change services.
This is an exciting time to join Waltham Forest – London’s first Borough of Culture and the winner of the MJ “Council of the year” award. We are busy creating a Council for the future and this is your chance to join an ambitious, customer focussed Corporate Development directorate during a time of change and transformation.
How to Apply
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.