Job Title: Solution Architect
Ref no: 3032-3717
Salary: Band 10 £34,787-£38,813
37 Hours per week
Required to participate in a team rota to cover the period between 8:00am and 6:00pm
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 8,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
The Solution Architect role is broken down into five main areas of responsibility:
Service Design & Planning
- Technology innovation - ensuring that as one of the technology beacons within PCC you understand, engage with and research technical innovation relating to your area(s) of responsibility. The subsequent learning should be used to shape the future strategic technology direction of the business by input into the broader IT strategy or domain roadmaps. Create, maintain and grow the technology knowledge base within PCC.
- Provide a single point of responsibility for the technical solution - creating options papers, defining technical requirements, defining the Terms of Reference for business initiated projects, Roadmap or BAU transformation projects. This will include the ownership, creation and presentation of Viability Forum documentation as required.
- Project Proposal - Creation of detailed project proposal documents that can be used to scope a specific/defined project
- Supplier engagement - identification, engagement and relationship management activities with potential technology, solution and service providers to PCC
Service Build & Transition
- Input and support to Project Initiation Document (PID) - Ownership for the technical sections of the PID. Ensuring the technology elements of the PID are clear, concise and complete thereby enabling accurate cost, resource and timescales to be defined for every project.
- Supplier selection - Technical input and responsibility for supplier selection within the procurement process
- Creation of required technology design views (High-Level design & Low-Level design) required for the Solution Architecture Design (SAD) document. Note: this includes the requirement to update/create various architectural views within Architecture tools and data repositories (iServer and other PCC tools sets). This will include the ownership, creation and presentation of appropriate documentation to ARB & TDA)
- Ownership to resolution Incidents passed to 3rd line support.
- Ensure full document relating to all incidents is completed- Note: with a view to enabling further incidents of this type to be resolved by 2nd line groups (or lower)
- Supporting major incidents
- Attending user group sessions to identify potential areas of technical, service, operational and business improvement
- High level understanding of the business operation activities and services
- Process improvement - Identify opportunities to increase, enhance and/or improve PCC's technology, service, IT tooling, applications or business functionality
- Provide fit for purpose customer solutions - use data, information and knowledge gained from the implemented PCC service model to support a proactive approach to delivering and supporting the IT infrastructure, service and solution.
- Support project activity resulting from the PCC Change Management process - supporting the implementation of upgrades, configuration changes and upgrades to existing PCC infrastructure components
- Maintain Architectural models, tools & Systems
- Adhere to PCC PMO, Project Management and commercial governance processes
- Upgrade/enhance architectural governance processes, policies and tooling
- Update, maintain and enhance Architecture skills and capabilities
What you'll need to succeed?
You will need to demonstrate tangible evidence of your proven experience and success in the following areas:
- An innovative and creative individual, who is able to bring fresh new ideas to set us apart from others.
- A tenacious and ambitious person with excellent negotiation skills to be able to bring all parties/stakeholders on board.
- An excellent communicator with good interpersonal skills to develop relationships with people at all levels.
- Consistent, supportive, proactive and flexible in the way you deliver
- Positive, and energetic and take pride in your and our success.
- Responsible and accountable for delivery of your personal tasks and outcomes
- A major contributor, committed to team success.
- Committed to delivering exceptional customer service.
You will have skills in the following area:
- Strategic and Operational Planning
- Analytical thinking and presentation of complex solutions, designs and data
- Complex Problem Solving
- Supplier, Customer Liaison and Relationship Management
- Quality Assurance
- Understanding of Technical Architecture and how to correctly deploy architectural techniques to achieve required project/service outcomes whilst maintaining overall infrastructure/technology integrity
- Records Management
- Application Lifecycle covering
- Analysis/impact on current technology landscape
- Defining IT training needs and creating HOTS documentation
- Capacity Planning
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. Annual leave starts at 26 days going up to 30 days and staff discounts for travel and local shops. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the "Job Profile" to ensure your application matches the requirements of the role. If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.