Job Title: Infrastructure Engineer
Fixed Term Contract/Secondment 12 Months
Ref no: 3031-3716
Salary: Band 9 £31,370-£34,787
37 Hours per week
Will be required to undertake some work during the evening or at weekends
Required to participate in a team rota to cover the period between 8:00am and 6:00pm
Required to participate in a 24 x7 standby rota.
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 8,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
Reporting to the Operations Manager
You will deliver, as part of a team, the support, maintenance and ongoing operability of the IT system and server infrastructure.
- Configure IT systems, servers and IT infrastructure
- Maintain, support and review technical systems
- Develop, install and test technical systems
- Maintain assurance of system and data backups
- Resolve incidents and requests according to SLAs
- Investigate problems and identify and implement solutions to prevent future failure
- Prepare and maintain operational documentation
- Implement/maintain IT solutions to industry standards and best practice
- Maintain operational integrity and efficiency
- Ensure the performance and availability of IT System and Server infrastructure meets the needs of the business.
- Undertake capacity planning
- Implement changes in line with the information service change management process
What you'll need to succeed?
You will have skill in all of the following areas:
- Configuring and optimising use of Hardware and Software
- Technical authoring
- Customer Service
- Documenting technical environments
- Microsoft Technologies
- Broad working knowledge of IT systems and server infrastructure across PCC
- Operational knowledge of core infrastructure systems such as virtualisation, backup, Active Directory, Storage Area Networks, Windows Server and Server Hardware
In addition you will need to have operational knowledge of the following:
- File and Application Servers
- IT security systems such as AV
- Infrastructure as a Service
- Windows Server Operating Systems
- Active Directory
- Virtualisation/Thin Client Technologies
- Backup technologies
- Storage Technologies
- IT monitoring systems
- PC and industry standard peripheral hardware
- Web Browsers and standard Office productivity software
- Cloud Technologies
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. Annual leave starts at 26 days going up to 30 days and staff discounts for travel and local shops. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the "Job Profile" to ensure your application matches the requirements of the role. If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.