This is a superb opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated professional to join the dynamic Highways and Transportation Service at Wokingham Borough Council.
We are seeking an Active Travel Officers who will sit within the My Journey Wokingham Team. The role will focus primarily on working with Schools in the borough. Key responsibilities for the roles include:
- To work closely with schools in the borough, recruiting active travel champions to promote sustainable travel for their pupils/staff.
- To assist schools in achieving the national Mode shift STARS accreditation at bronze, silver and gold level as appropriate.
- To take the lead in planning and delivering a programme of activities which encourage pupils / staff to travel more sustainably, this may include led rides, led walks, cycle maintenance, advice sessions, training session, presentations /assemblies, and travel awareness campaigns for example.
- To work closely with other teams in the Councils to identify synergies between objectives and the most efficiency use of resources.
- To contribute to the delivery of a Council wide coordinated approach to tackling climate change, air quality and health and well-being objectives through the benefits of travel.
- To raise awareness of the My Journey brand and campaigns, local workplace / school activities and the wider benefits of sustainable travel on climate change, air quality and health and well-being through our social media platforms.
- To provide regular news stories and case studies for the My Journey website and wider media release.
- To support the collection of monitoring data related to schools/workplaces ensuring activities being delivered meet the project objectives and targets.
- To be able to manage workloads, prioritise work and evaluate the effectiveness of individual projects in order to amend or stop work where results are not being achieved.
- To support the My Journey Team in day to day activities, include events in the wider community and possibly including weekend and evening work (e.g. assisting in events)
- To assist the Council in delivering the relevant objectives of the Local Transport Plan and developing new objectives and targets.
A key concern for the borough is our Climate Change Emergency. This, along with congestion and air quality are areas which applicants should be well versed in and able to respond to enquiries regarding these issues in particular.
Situated in the heart of the thriving Thames Valley this is an exciting time to join as the council is delivering substantial infrastructure projects and new housing as well as town centre regeneration. The Highways and Transportation Service has undergone significant change in the last twelve months following a move to the borough’s 21st Century Council model and also the creation of a new Highways Alliance between WBC, our consultants and our new contractor. Wokingham Borough Council offers a range of employee benefits including generous annual leave, flexible working opportunities and an excellent pension. Closing date for applications is Sunday 5th April with interviews scheduled for 21st April, 23rd April & 28th April.
For more information about the role please contact Robert Curtis at Robert.Curtis@wokingham.gov.uk