Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
We are recruiting an experienced Cloud & Infrastructure Services Engineer who will use their initiative and skill to install, support, maintain and manage ICT solutions, and to be a part of an ongoing transformative Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 End User Compute project.
Reporting to the Solution Design & Cloud Operations Manager, the Cloud & Infrastructure Services Engineer is one of a small team of experienced technical analysts, with backgrounds in IT Security, Infrastructure and Networking, across multiple technologies including Microsoft (AD, ADFS, DFS, DNS, DHCP, Server, SQL etc), Linux, VMWare, Cisco, Citrix, SAN, Azure IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and an understanding of how these elements can be combined to create a resilient service, enabling Council staff to work effectively.
The Cloud & Infrastructure Services Engineer is responsible for the support and maintenance of both on-premise and Cloud-hosted ICT systems, analysing and resolving issues and problems against existing implementations and technologies, producing support and user documentation, implementing and testing prototype designs and application integrations
The Cloud & Infrastructure Services Engineer may also be required to support technical elements and evaluations of tender processes should a solution design require selection of new suppliers or technologies, supporting the project delivery team in delivering robust, cost effective solutions, and working with operational and development IT teams as necessary to support the production environments.
About the person
The successful candidate will have worked across multiple IT disciplines (eg. Network, Infrastructure, Application). In particular, VMWare and Microsoft Azure / M365 experience will be highly beneficial.
Drawing from their experience, the candidate will have excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills, and be comfortable with communicating and collaborating with all levels of the organisation, including colleagues, managers, business users, councillors and third party suppliers.
The successful candidate will be a strong team player; learning from and increasing the knowledge of the team around them. They will be able to prioritise changing workloads effectively, and will be comfortable with working to tight deadlines.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses