Salary: £42,683 - £45,591 Plus laptop & phone
Working Arrangements: Monday to Friday (some weekend/evening work required)
Hours per week: 37
Contract type: Permanent
Flexible working arrangement
This post is suitable for Job Share
See our range of Employee Rewards
Closing date: 06/03/2020 at 23:59
Please be aware that this is a politically restricted post.
The successful candidate will be required to speak English to an appropriate standard.
This post requires an Enhanced DBS Check
If you are currently living overseas or have lived overseas in the last five years please be aware, if you are the preferred candidate for the post, you will be required to apply for an overseas criminal records check from the country/countries you have resided in. If you experience difficulty in obtaining an overseas criminal record check please email email@example.com
Pensions Regulations have provisions to reduce pension payments in certain circumstances of those who return to work within local government service. If you are in receipt of a pension upon commencing employment with the authority, this may affect your pension entitlements and you should therefore seek advice from the relevant Pensions Authority.
About the Post:
Area Council Manager – Stronger Communities
Like all of us here at Barnsley, you will care about your community and want to support and develop the people within it. This exciting role is to represent the Council at one of six geographical areas reflecting Area Councils and drive forward the development and delivery of the Area Council Plan, agree area priorities with Members and wider community and be responsible for strategic consultation and engagement with residents and stakeholders at area and ward level.
Barnsley Council focuses on creativity, ambition and people. Our award-winning council is on an exciting journey of change. It’s all about putting local people at the heart of everything we do. We’re now more innovative, more efficient and provide better value for money. The changes are clear to see - from new businesses and jobs, to improving school results and to museums being recognised for their community engagement.
Shape a better future with us
We’re thrilled to have achieved Investors in People (IIP) Gold status for how we lead, support and develop people. Now we’d like you to be part of our success and help us take change further. Join us on our journey to a brighter future. By working together, with each other and with our communities, we can take pride in improving lives. Let’s make a better Barnsley for everyone.
Your role in our journey
As an Area Council Manager you will:
• Lead the local performance of services and commissioning through area planning process, devolved budgets and development of local community enterprise.
• Develop and enhance the community leadership role of Members through community practice reflecting Corporate Plan priority to build strong and resilient communities.
• Develop a culture of organisational change, and instigating process re-engineering in order to shape services in line with local people’s needs and expectations.
• Influence, plan and support the delivery, the co-ordination and commissioning of services to meet area priorities which are critical to deliver improved outcomes for local people.
• Lead on service strategy and policy including lead responsibility for the development, production and implementation of an Area Plan ensuring that it is fully reflective of the needs of the area, the priorities identified through consultation and engagement, legislative and policy frameworks, and the views of all stakeholders in the area.
• Lead the development of service specifications for the commissioning of local activity and associated contract management of procured services.
• Lead responsibility for the delivery of local area governance arrangements ensuring continuous review and evaluation of service provision to ensure it is fit for purpose, drives continuous improvement and is effectively using available resources
• Be responsible for the recruitment, training and management of an area-based team. Including the management of a team of staff, providing direction and co-ordination of workloads, motivation, training, welfare and discipline issues as appropriate.
• Ensure various budgets are managed effectively and deliver value for money in accordance with the Council’s financial regulations.
• Have the Managerial oversight for supporting community action and volunteering through development of ward alliances, neighbourhood networks and wider community practice
• Direct and manage cross service projects that provide innovative solutions where there is no lead partner, in order to produce strategic outcomes that can be achieved by organisation’s working alone.
• Proactively liaise, negotiate, influence and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders including managers, employees, councillors and partnership agencies as required.
• Take a lead role in supporting Elected Members development at area level through both effective community practice and utilising the area planning process to enable delivery of Corporate Plan and Future Council vision and priorities
• Undertake complex data analysis and interpretation, providing reports and updates as required.
• Lead on the management of social action programmes, including the development of local people and organisations to carry out voluntary work which meets the needs of the area and coordinates with services to ensure efficiencies and public service reform, including the development of social enterprises, mutual and cooperatives.
What you’ll need
To join us, you’ll need a level 6 qualification in a relevant field, with a willingness to work towards Barnsley’s leadership programme. You will need to be skilled in building strong working relationships with internal and external partners. You will be flexible in your approach and have the proven ability to work under pressure.
A lot to look forward to
Here at Barnsley, we live and work by four important values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service, and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling you to achieve your potential. So we’ve created a development process that lets you grow in the way that suits you - whether that’s training to be a leader, or learning flexibly online. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold, and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
Please use the documents below to help support you with your application form.
Job Profile: Area Manager Job Profile.pdf
Vacancy Exposure Profile: Exposure Profile.pdf
Barnsley Council is passionate about Equal Opportunities and Flexible Working. We're committed to equality and diversity in all aspects of our work and welcome candidates with a broad diversity of talent. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Click here for more information.
CVs will not be accepted.