Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
We are seeking enthusiastic individuals for the role of Refuse/Recycling Ganger!
The role of Refuse/Recycling Ganger is to act as the lead crew member, overseeing the safe collection of waste on assigned rounds.
We are looking for new members of staff to work to work at the Harlington Road Depot.
In addition to collecting waste/recycling material on a daily basis, you will also be responsible for ensuring missed collections are kept to the absolute minimum, ensure the health and safety of the crew, undertake banksman duties for the safe operation of the vehicle and be the member of the crew to liaise and advise residents and other users of the Borough.
Working with a team, you will be expected to complete the daily workload whilst at the same time ensuring the safe manoeuvring of the vehicle by working closely with your driver.
About the person
Previous experience in operating in the waste industry and manual lifting and handling knowledge would be an excellent fit for this position. You will also need to be physically fit and active. This role involves a lot of walking and lifting heavy bags in all weather conditions.
You will be working with a range of stakeholders including colleagues (of all levels), residents, traders and service users. You will be responsible for your own health and safety at all times, and must ensure that safe working methods are maintained at all times.
Other important skills would include:
identification of waste types
You must be motivated to deliver results, and will be expected to take ownership of your personal development, as well as supporting the development of the service. We strive to ensure that we continuously improve our service, and we need you to support us in this.
Refuse/Recycling Gangers are a key role, and we are looking for somebody who can work flexible hours, as the service demands. The work is busy and has lots of variety, with a range of challenges - but you will also be rewarded by supporting London Borough of Hillingdon in maintaining a clean, safe environment for our residents.
(Please note for this vacancy you will need to be physically able to undertake a range of duties including lifting and moving heavy and/or bulky objects)If this is the type of career path you have been searching for, and you believe you meet our criteria (as outlined in the Person Specification), we look forward to receiving your application!
Benefits vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Additional Information continued
Disability Confident Employer
& Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy