Join us here at Reading Borough Council, and you can look forward to a rewarding new role as part of a friendly and supportive team. We work together, helping each other to make lives better for people in our communities. If you’d like to be part of our growing future, we can offer excellent training and development, not to mention a range of great benefits. So be part of an organisation that will genuinely value you and your contribution to our success. Get in touch now.
The Parks Team is currently looking for skilled and experienced arborists to join our growing team responsible for the maintenance of trees on public land in Reading.
About the role
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in climbing and working from a rope and harness in all weather conditions. Senior arborists must have experience in managing teams undertaking a range of different tree work tasks, and in working with clients and contractors. The role also requires a wide range of experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of tree maintenance equipment, especially chainsaws and chippers. A sound knowledge of health & safety relating to tree work is essential. You will be able to identify and take appropriate action to deal with defects in trees, carry out aerial inspections and provide written reports.
You should be self-motivated, courteous to customers and a good team worker. You should be trained to Level 3 in Arboriculture and hold NPTC Certificates of Competence in chainsaw use, felling and pruning, and use of mobile elevated working platforms. You should have a full European driver’s licence, amd be licensed to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and to tow.
Benefits available to RBC employees include:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
For more information, please contact Kevin Lee or Carolyn Jenkins in the Parks Team on 0118 9372724.