WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A MEMBER OF FOLKESTONE AND HYTHE DISTRICT COUNCIL’S AUDIT AND GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE?
Folkestone and Hythe District Council are looking for an Independent Member of the public to join its Audit and Governance Committee which is accountable directly to Council and whose role is to provide the Council with independent assurance, review of its governance, oversee financial reporting, internal and external audit is effective, promote high standards, exercise all non-executive functions and advise on constitutional matters.
It operates in compliance with the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy's (CIPFA) good practice guidance and Position Statements last updated in 2018.
Applications to join the Committee are invited from interested people. You must:
• experience of working with or being a member of an Audit Committee
• a background and appropriate experience of financial / audit management and / or experience of governance / standards of conduct issues.
• a good understanding of governance, risk management and control
• integrity, objectivity, discretion and the ability to make decisions
• an ability to analyse complex information, question, probe and seek clarification so to come to an independent and unbiased view, including making judgements at hearings into alleged breaches of the code of conduct for member.
• experience of working in or with large, complex organisations with an understanding of the political environment that local authorities operate within
• good interpersonal and communication skills.
Please note that you cannot be appointed if you have been a member or employee of the Council at any time during the last 5 years; be a relative or close friend of a member or officer of the Council; be engaged in any party political activity; have any criminal convictions or be an un-discharged bankrupt have any significant business dealings with the Council.
A small allowance is paid to the appointed candidate, plus the council would meet the cost of any expenses incurred.
For an informal conversation about this post please telephone Charlotte Spendley, Director – Corporate Services on 01303 853420.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications will be 5pm on Friday 6 March 2020