Directorate: Customer Service and Delivery
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Agile Working / Tavistock / Totnes, Devon
Salary: £31,371 - £34,788 per annum
IMPACT: Band B
Devon has an outstanding natural environment with a range of nationally protected landscapes and internationally important UNESCO designated sites. Of the five Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in the County, Dartmoor National Park and South Devon AONB are significant parts of our Borough and District.
Dartmoor is a mix of moorland and wooded valleys, with granite tors dominating the landscape, and some 600 miles of rights of way. The South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty covers 337 square kilometres, including much of the South Hams area of Devon and the rugged, Jurassic Coastline from Jennycliff to Elberry Cove near Brixham. The area offers visitors and local community's miles of beautiful sandy beaches and picture postcard villages.
Our organisation is five years into an innovative programme of transformation, and information technology lies its heart. Workflow is deployed through the whole organisation with full web and CRM to back office integration. Our "Agile" way of working means officers can work effectively from our modern offices or remotely and at any time.
The purpose of the IT Community of Practice is to define, implement and maintain comprehensive customer focused technology solutions which support the corporate and service objectives of the Councils. The IT Practice is responsible for infrastructure, networking, application support and development, telephony, database administration, security, business process development and design.
We manage projects, help reduce demand and create efficiencies by working proactively with suppliers and internal customers.
We are constantly busy looking for ways to improve our customer experience and make existing processes more efficient so we are recruiting a Level 5 Applications Support and Development Specialist to support this work.
Reporting to the IT Community of Practice Lead and working with the Senior Applications Specialist, the post holder will be expected to take a key role in the evaluation, implementation and support of ICT solutions and play a key role in development of integrations and applications where required.
The Applications specialists work closely with the Council's workflow and business process design specialists and there will be an opportunity to be influential in the continuous improvement and automation of the Councils services.
You will co-coordinate directly with both internal customers and suppliers, determining and implementing standards, tools and techniques and to play a role in coordinating the activities of, and mentoring less experienced members of the Application support and development team.
Some exposure to complex ICT project management would be useful but more important, is a "can do" approach. An appetite to rise to a challenge will be rewarded by an environment, responsibility and the support with which to get the job done.
- To successfully deliver ICT projects, coordinating directly with the project sponsors.
- Maintain and implement application development standards, tools and techniques.
- To design solutions and develop applications to the required standard, manage the application lifecycle, conduct code reviews and manage source code.
- To perform database administration activities for the Council's SQL server and Oracle databases, and to lead on and resolve performance and integrity issues.
- Testing and conducting database upgrades.
- To work with the business development team, designing processes and building integrations to other systems.
- To support and administer the council's principle business applications and act as lead contact for the resolution of technical issues with suppliers. You'll be supporting a variety of applications including Council Tax and Benefits, Financials, Document Management, Workflow and CRM.
- To manage the selection, implementation, testing and deployment of new business applications and upgrades.
- Ideally degree level education or ability to demonstrate significant work experience.
- Exposure to project management in a Prince2 environment and service delivery under an ITIL framework.
- Working knowledge of application development and support, application lifecycle management and setting of standards for application development. Database administration.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of specification, design, development and support of applications using Microsoft C#, .net, MVC architecture and web technologies, SQL and SQL or Oracle server administration.
- Implementation of Web Services, Interfaces and integrations, Data conversion and migration.
The IMPACT Behavioural framework has been developed to support South Hams District and West Devon Borough Councils' ambitions for their workforce.
The framework aims to enhance both individual and organisational performance and will be applied in recruitment, performance management and career progression. It defines the behaviours that all colleagues across both councils are expected to consistently demonstrate at work.