Please note this is a fixed-term contract for 12 months.
We are looking for individuals who are able to make a difference to homeless people in Medway. Working as part of our Rough Sleeping Initiative you will build up relationships with the most vulnerable people on our streets and provide support and advice. You will be responsible for conducting outreach work across Medway, verifying who is out there, engaging and supporting those out on the streets. This is an exciting opportunity and you’ll be a key part of a network of services, all working towards the same aim. There is an expectation that work will include out of hours and weekend work and mobile IT equipment will be provided to allow you to work flexibly. This is a fixed term contract until the end of March 2021.
Good level of general education (GCSE Grade A* - C) including Maths and English
- Knowledge of housing and homelessness legislation such as the Housing Act 1996; Homelessness Code of Guidance; Protection from Eviction Act 1977; and Homelessness Reduction Act 2017
- Good working knowledge of outreach, accommodation projects and services that can help vulnerable people.
- The ability to converse at ease with people adapting communication style to suit various abilities.
- Experience of working with vulnerable people providing support, in the field of homelessness, housing related field or another support service.
- Demonstrable experience of being able to motivate and engage with service users who are chronically and socially excluded from mainstream society and services.
- Experience of support planning, key working and reviewing risks in collaboration with service users
- Experience of multi-agency and partnership working
- Knowledge and experience of utilising a range of housing options to relieve and prevent homelessness
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Chris Giles on 01634 33232.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.